1&1 My Website Personal as a business site

MrNudge

Hi Nikonites

I have managed to complete my photography kit and in doing so I have started out doing photos for paying clients. The next step is a website but trying to keep the cost down with the possibility of using 1&1 my website personal (£5.99 mth) rather than their business ones (£11.99 mth). I already have the domain with them.

My question quite simple...

Has anyone used 1&1 personal website for business?

I appreciate your help and suggestions as always.

Hi Nikonites

I have managed to complete my photography kit and in doing so I have started out doing photos for paying clients. The next step is a website but trying to keep the cost down with the possibility of using 1&1 my website personal (£5.99 mth) rather than their business ones (£11.99 mth). I already have the domain with them.

My question quite simple...

Has anyone used 1&1 personal website for business?

I appreciate your help and suggestions as always.

IT does not matter what hosting company you use they are all the same. The problem you face is if you want to sell from the site. Then you must have a secure site (HTTPS instead of HTTP) you choice is to use PayPal and to then let the sale go off your site to their secure servers. You are really better off going with someone like Zenfolio or one of the other dedicated photo sites that are set up to sell photos. There are a couple of thread here that discuss all of this. Do a search for Zenfolio.

MrNudge

IT does not matter what hosting company you use they are all the same. The problem you face is if you want to sell from the site. Then you must have a secure site (HTTPS instead of HTTP) you choice is to use PayPal and to then let the sale go off your site to their secure servers. You are really better off going with someone like Zenfolio or one of the other dedicated photo sites that are set up to sell photos. There are a couple of thread here that discuss all of this. Do a search for Zenfolio.

Hi Tracsoft

Sorry I should have mentioned that I will not be selling from the site but it's just going to be an enquiry site for people to look at my work and book a photo shoot for themselves or family etc.

Very simple really but whrn I speak to 1&1 on the telephone, they always try to convince my to get the business website. I asked them abouy using the personal one as a business website and they try not to answer me properly. It's like they know that I could just buy and use the personal one instead of the business.

Hi Tracsoft

Sorry I should have mentioned that I will not be selling from the site but it's just going to be an enquiry site for people to look at my work and book a photo shoot for themselves or family etc.

Very simple really but whrn I speak to 1&1 on the telephone, they always try to convince my to get the business website. I asked them abouy using the personal one as a business website and they try not to answer me properly. It's like they know that I could just buy and use the personal one instead of the business.

Any time you say business they assume the same thing that I did that you are going to be selling. Have you already gotten a site at 1&1? If not there are better choices like Green Web Hosting From HostPapa - America?s Best Web Hosting Provider. £2.61 a month

MrNudge

Any time you say business they assume the same thing that I did that you are going to be selling. Have you already gotten a site at 1&1? If not there are better choices like Green Web Hosting From HostPapa - America?s Best Web Hosting Provider. £2.61 a month

Yeah my bad. I haven't bought a site just ye. I tried building my own using dreamweaver buy failed trying to add the photo gallery! Hence the reason for looking at 1&1.
I don't of any other companies that other websites and hosting for the price 1&1 are offering.

MrNudge

Alan-

Have you looked at maintaining a personal website through wordpress?

Hi Whitelight

I have looked into WordPress but I couldn't get it to work and I already spent endless nights using dreamweaver but failed.

Hosting is cheap, but getting a website is the expensive part plus being able to use social media functions and mobile design etc.

Are you saying that WordPress would give me a control panel, social media and website?

Yeah my bad. I haven't bought a site just ye. I tried building my own using dreamweaver buy failed trying to add the photo gallery! Hence the reason for looking at 1&1.
I don't of any other companies that other websites and hosting for the price 1&1 are offering.

They almost all do and some cheaper. Are you talking about the site they have for 1 click install through Cpanel like Software that can install just about any kind of site you want. I used to manage a web hosting company for several years. I also have several web site now that I built and manage. Dreamweaver is pretty outdated tech now. Sites built with Wordpress or Drupal are much better since they are not static and are not built page by page. They are database based. they have a Theme that is on top of the site that can be changed without having to completely rebuild the site.

Also for £39.34 pounds a year (I think I did the conversion correctly) you can have a unlimited Zenfolio site that has mobile and social media built in. And for twice that price you can sell from the site. No coding. you just pick you template and upload your pictures.

I have the Premium Plan which is $120 USD per year and it does pretty much anything I need it to do.

Check it out. you can always get the regular plan and upgrade later.

https://secure.zenfolio.com/zf/signup/plans.aspx

WhiteLight

Hi Whitelight

I have looked into WordPress but I couldn't get it to work and I already spent endless nights using dreamweaver but failed.

Hosting is cheap, but getting a website is the expensive part plus being able to use social media functions and mobile design etc.

Are you saying that WordPress would give me a control panel, social media and website?

Yes definitely.. WordPress can be very simple but it does have a lot of complex options as well if you like to tinker around.. Am taking about WordPress.org Btw, not WordPress. Com

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2