- Macro Lenses -

dapper.image

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie who is still learning about photography.

I have a D5200 with the kit lens. (18-55)

I think it's time for me to upgrade my lens, so i'm trying to decide on a macro. I understand that for bugs and such the more mm the better.

So, after reading many articles online about which lens to get, I think i've decided on a 105mm. Now, I don't have a lot of money, so i'm trying to find a used one for sale.

That's where I came to this. What's the difference between these two lenses? Besides the obvious fact that one is used.

Used Nikon 105 f/2.8 AF-D Micro auto Focus Lens

Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor Lens - Nikon U.S.A. Warranty 2160

Here is one of my photos that I took recently, got the camera about 2 weeks ago and it's my first dslr. You can follow the image to the rest of my photos on flickr also if you wish.

growing up by dapper.image, on Flickr

Horoscope Fish

Well for one thing in Nikon-ese, "ED" stands for Extra-low Dispersion glass. ED helps prevent chromatic aberration and other optical distortions. One of those lenses has Vibration Reduction and a "G" lens has a manual aperture ring.

GAH... here's the link I was looking for. It explains what all those letters mean.

Last edited:

Kodiak

Hey, welcome! …glad to have you around!

Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor Lens, go for it, it's a great tool!

Your sunflower is beautiful in this overcast light…

I think I like your eye and that you're going to have a great time with us!

CU around!

Bill16

The link you supplied show the differences if you look at the new model. The new lens has some perks. Some that make getting a good shot a bit easier at times( like taking a shot without a tripod) VR for an example.I believe both lenses are good, but the new one is a bit better. :)
Welcome to nikonites! :D

jwstl

The biggest difference between the 2 lenses is the autofocus. The D lens will NOT autofocus on your 5200 as the lens doesn't have the AF motor and neither does the 5200. It may not matter if all you want it for is macro as AF isn't that useful in macro.

dapper.image

Sorry, man! My knowledge is limited to Nikkor lenses!

Have a good time!

No problem, thank you for the warm welcome!

The biggest difference between the 2 lenses is the autofocus. The D lens will NOT autofocus on your 5200 as the lens doesn't have the AF motor and neither does the 5200. It may not matter if all you want it for is macro as AF isn't that useful in macro.

So lenses that do not have their own Auto Focus motor will not have Auto Focus because my D5200 doesn't have Auto Focus?

Bill16

That's right. For auto focus you'll need the lens to have the motor.

It will have AF-S in the lens name if it has the motor in it. :)
No problem, thank you for the warm welcome!

So lenses that do not have their own Auto Focus motor will not have Auto Focus because my D5200 doesn't have Auto Focus?

dapper.image

That's right. For auto focus you'll need the lens to have the motor.

It will have AF-S in the lens name if it has the motor in it. :)

Bummer I was under the impression that the D5200 does have a motor. Do you have any experience with the Tamron 90mm f2.8?

​Does it compare with the 105mm or should I just save up for the 105mm?

Bill16

I haven't tried that brand myself. What you see in my signature is all the lenses I've ever owned, and I got them within the last month or so. I really like my 105mm even though mine is all manual and much older.
So I can't advise you on the Tamron brand. I'm sorry I can't be of much help there.
Bummer I was under the impression that the D5200 does have a motor. Do you have any experience with the Tamron 90mm f2.8?

jwstl

There's no motor in the 5200 so you'll need Nikon AF-S lenses, Sigma HSM, or third party lenses with motors.
​I haven't used the Tamron but I've heard good things. I currently use the Nikon 105 D and the Sigma 150. Both are fantastic. I use the Nikon when I want to pack light and the Sigma when weight isn't a factor.

dapper.image

But wait, the D says that it is auto focus?

[h=1]Nikon 105 f/2.8 AF-D Micro auto Focus Lens[/h]
​What is that referring to? That if the camera has an auto focus motor then it can auto focus?

jwstl

But wait, the D says that it is auto focus?

Nikon 105 f/2.8 AF-D Micro auto Focus Lens

​What is that referring to? That if the camera has an auto focus motor then it can auto focus?

There are 2 types of autofocus lenses: AF lenses with motors so they don't need a camera with a motor and AF lenses that can only autofocus if the body has a motor. The D series lenses are not AF-S so they can only autofocus on bodies with a built in AF motor.

dapper.image

There are 2 types of autofocus lenses: AF lenses with motors so they don't need a camera with a motor and AF lenses that can only autofocus if the body has a motor. The D series lenses are not AF-S so they can only autofocus on bodies with a built in AF motor.

​Oh ok thank you.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I have owned the Tamron 90mm and the Nikon 105mm f2.8D macro lens in the past. Both are good lenses and are sharp. Not really a fan of the bokeh but they will work for casual macro photography.

I now own the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR which is better suited for my taste.

Here is an article from Thom Hogan about the Nikon and Tamron macro lens.

Nikon 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Review by Thom Hogan

dapper.image

I have owned the Tamron 90mm and the Nikon 105mm f2.8D macro lens in the past. Both are good lenses and are sharp. Not really a fan of the bokeh but they will work for casual macro photography.

I now own the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR which is better suited for my taste.

Here is an article from Thom Hogan about the Nikon and Tamron macro lens.

Nikon 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Review by Thom Hogan

Are you saying the bokeh is better with the Nikon 105mm af-s vr?

Skytalker

With the macro lenses is quite difficult to go wrong, all of them are very sharp but slow focussing and of course they can be used for portraiture as well.

The best value for money is the Tamron 90mm, a lens that is slightly sharper than the Nikon 105mm (both the D and the VR) and has the best bookeh of all macro lenses, but the one that should be chosen is the "272ENII" type since that one has an internal motor so that your D5200 will AF. The last version has VR, more precisely VC as they call it, but then is more expensive.

The next one might be the Tokina 100mm, good construction good quality of image.
Then there is the Sigma 105, but Sigma always had some issues with quality control... but sigma when is good is really good.
Now the Nikon 105 VR has the newest optics. VR is not a deal breaker since at 1:1 VR is useless.

So if budget is not an issue then the Nikon 105 VR, but if not you might consider the Tamron.