Looking at a Macro Lens!

RockyNH_RIP

Driving up to Manchester tonight with both cameras to look at a Sigma 105 Macro. It is the older version, no motor and has been factory rechipped for the newer Nikons.

I can get it for $200 so if condition is good, functions on both cameras and the image quality looks good, I am bringing it home!

That will complete my kit with a general zoom, long range zoom, 2 primes, an Ultra wide (12-24) and a 105mm Macro.

Wish me luck!

Pat in NH

Kodiak

Good luck from me too, though…

…I don't care much for the lens but the fun you will have with it and the
photos you will post! (you got 24 hours!)

All the best,

RockyNH_RIP

Good luck from me too, though…

…I don't care much for the lens but the fun you will have with it and the
photos you will post! (you got 24 hours!)

All the best,

Thanks Kodiak... It will serve me to see how much/if I like macro work.. Learning tool!! :)

Pat in NH

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I hope it meets your satisfaction, Rocky. That lens will allow you to decide whether or not macro photography is something you really want to pursue or if it's just something you will do once in a while. Many of Sigma's older lenses are still good bargains in today's world. Back when I was using 35mm, I purchased a Sigma 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 APO macro zoom (it's an AF-D lens so no vibration reduction). The lens still works quite well tripod mounted although the macro is not a true 1:1 ratio.

Insects definitely are NOT my thing ;) so what I have works well for the few times I do macro work. What types of subjects are you hoping to capture? Insects? eww :dread: Flowers? Water drops? Something else? What intrigues you, Rocky?

Have fun, and good luck. Hope it works out for you! :)

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Donald, Rick & Glenn... Thanks for the well wishes... I did get the lens, now I just have to learn to use it proper! :)

Heck, its fun learning...

Pat in NH

WhiteLight

Donald, Rick & Glenn... Thanks for the well wishes... I did get the lens, now I just have to learn to use it proper! :)

Pat in NH

Congrats Pat..
I've heard (and seen) some great things with the Sigma 105 macro..
Btw which one is it? You said it's the older model with some chip?
would like to see some details.. great price as well!

RockyNH_RIP

I hope it meets your satisfaction, Rocky. That lens will allow you to decide whether or not macro photography is something you really want to pursue or if it's just something you will do once in a while. Many of Sigma's older lenses are still good bargains in today's world. Back when I was using 35mm, I purchased a Sigma 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 APO macro zoom (it's an AF-D lens so no vibration reduction). The lens still works quite well tripod mounted although the macro is not a true 1:1 ratio.

Insects definitely are NOT my thing ;) so what I have works well for the few times I do macro work. What types of subjects are you hoping to capture? Insects? eww :dread: Flowers? Water drops? Something else? What intrigues you, Rocky?

Have fun, and good luck. Hope it works out for you! :)

Thanks Hark! I brought it home with me!! :) It looks like there will be a bit of a learning curve... My is older also, NO VR and I can see where that makes it tough. Tripod mount will surely help. I knew there would be light gathering issues and limited dof. I found out how much playing with it!! :rolleyes: Mine is a true 1:1 which is nice, and the price was right. Makes it easy to afford to try it out. You have to really watch teh focus.. I am not sure but I may prefer manual focus but time will tell...

My interests... I have very broad interests and want to learn ... so I will shoot some insects to learn (and see if I can do it!) I have greater interest in flowers, leaves, water droplets and small detailed parts. I have shot parts at work and also small defects in parts and tools and hope to be able to do a better job with this lens..

Anyway .. thats about it... back to get some photos processed and uploaded... (365's, pets, summer challenge and a few of the macro shots I did testing.)

happy tuesday!

Pat in NH

Last edited:

donaldjledet

Thanks Hark! I brought it home with me!! :) It looks like there will be a bit of a learning curve... My is older also, NO VR and I can see where that makes it tough. Tripod mount will surely help. I knew there would be light gathering issues and limited dof. I found out how much playing with it!! :rolleyes: Mine is a true 1:1 which is nice, and the price was right. Makes it easy to afford to try it out. You have to really watch teh focus.. I am not sure but I may prefer manual focus but time will tell...

My interests... I have vey broad interests and what to learn ... so I will shoot some insects to learn (and see if I can do it!) I have greater interest in flowers, leaves, water droplets and small detailed parts. I have shot parts at work and also small defects in parts and tools and hope to be able to do a better job with this lens..

Anyway .. thats about it... back to get some photos processed and uploaded... (365's, pets, summer challenge and a few of teh macro shots I did testing.)

happy tuesday!

Pat in NH
Pat know concerts about using a non Nikkor lens on the D5100 or D7100?

RockyNH_RIP

Congrats Pat..
I've heard (and seen) some great things with the Sigma 105 macro..
Btw which one is it? You said it's the older model with some chip?
would like to see some details.. great price as well!

Thanks Whitelight...

Here is a link to amazon where the specs are.. it is the 105mm EX DG Macro. It will be a fun learning experience for sure!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

That's the spirit! The granted 24 hours are counting down… =)

Thats the spirit I have to have Kodiak... Thank you for the encouragement!

here are the test photos... nothing fancy but enough to see that it works...

Very tiny part from work... and along with a dime for sizing

DSC_1862.jpg DSC_1872.jpg

Setup of 2 parts with a dime and focusing on the small nut, then on the thread...

DSC_1874.jpg DSC_1873.jpg

Another part with the nut....

DSC_1875.jpg

3 flowers in planters on my deck...

DSC_1880.jpg DSC_1879.jpg

DSC_1878.jpg

Ok, the lens works... Now I can practice and perfect using it and my technique!! :)

Have fun shooting....

Pat in NH

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Pat in NH

Pat - from my experience, using a good tripod, ballhead, (focusing rail - optional), mirror-up, and remote control will yield the sharpest images when it comes to macro photography.

Use live view whenever possible for static subjects and use the plus (+) button to zoom in order to get the focus really sharp. I use MF in most cases.

This is a sample image using that technique with my MF lens.

Cropped image

Flower 01 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Last edited: