D3200 and a speedlight

RockyNH_RIP

I have used inexpensive triggers but you have to shoot in manual mode. The triggers for TTL get quite expensive so you will have to decide what/how you are going to shoot and how often to justify an expense or not...

Pat in NH

carguy

Folks, I know the D3200 has no commander mode option. I was wondering what everyone was using to trigger a remote slave flash?

Welcome Eddie :cool:

Pat hit on the triggers. One of the cheapest options is the Cheaplights/Cowboy Studio NPT-04 flash trigger/remote setup. I've bought the set below as cheap as $13 on Amazon, price varies by the week. Great for learning, not the most dependable as you move forward and require a solid solution.

Amazon.com: Cheaplights NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger and 2 Receivers Set for Canon Nikon Pentax,OTT-04GY: Camera & Photo

Sounds like my D40. Depending on the flash you select, you can fire it remotely using the flash on your camera. here is a thread discussing that on my D40 using a Nikon SB-700 speedlite.

http://nikonites.com/flashes/12080-nikon-d40-sb-700-flash-remote.html

More info regarding the D3200 Flash:
Nikon D3200 Review - Flash

Last edited:

WayneF

Outside the Commander system, there are three ways to trigger remote manual flashes.

1. PC sync cord (connection accessories can be added to flashes and cameras without the connectors)

2. Optical slave accessory - sensor on each flash, triggered in sync by the flash of any other manual mode flash. An inexpensive accessory can be added to a flash without it (see Optical slave triggers for speedlights ) Works great indoors.

3. Radio trigger accessory - transmitter on hot shoe, receiver(s) on one or all flashes. One flash could in turn trigger optical slaves on other flashes. Better outdoors in sun.

See How to trigger speedlights Off camera'

eidian

I bought a used SB-800 by chance a little over a week ago and have used it during my week long vacation in Hawaii. I have to tell you, the higher grade Nikon flashes can't be beat. I'm so happy with my SB-800 that I've already bought another one on eBay and plan to use use it as the Master for the other SB-800. It seems easier/cheaper to just go with a Nikon flash that has the Master/Slave capability built in already.

Bobwags

I use my D3200 to trigger my Yongnuo YN-488 II off camera. On the camera I set the flash to manual and then its lowest setting. On the Yongnuo I set to S1. I then press the flash button on the camera's front left near the lens. The flash will pop up. As long as you are more or less in a direct line of sight to the flash it will trigger it while the on camera flash stays up but does not fire.

some_evil

I use my D3200 to trigger my Yongnuo YN-488 II off camera.

I have been looking for this YN-488 but google doesn't find it. Did you mean the YN-468 by any chance?

I am looking at options and this is of interest.

So long as my D3200 can trigger this flash I am keen!

Sent from my S3 on the run.

Lee532

Check out the Yongnuo yn-622 triggers if you want off camera TTL triggers at a reasonable price. I have found them very reliable.

skene

Your camera's flash can still trigger a slave flash as the slave will look for any flash of light before triggering. However if there are multiple cameras going off then it would trigger off any nearby flashes. That is why if you would be shooting where there is a possibility of other people taking pictures you would want to use a flash trigger which would send a signal vs going by a photo sensor.