to D90 or not D90?

Tewy

Hi

This is my first proper post on the site other than my introduction. I have always been interested in photography, from the cliche, sunsets and country views to the experimental via lomography. 14 years ago at college I chose photography as part of my A-Level Art and Design course, and got alot of darkroom experience. Then things went digital and I had a Sony Cybershot and have always used mobile phone cameras to various effect. Using iPhone apps I have been playing with time lapse and other effects and I have decided I have gotten to a point where I want more options with my photography. This is where DSLR comes in. I have alot of love for the Nikon brand and have a budget of around £500 but could go higher with a little more saving. Here comes the hard part. I love my gadgets and technology etc and no matter what it is i like high end stuff. The D90 name keeps getting dropped and I am very keen EXCEPT........its about two years old and there seems to be a ripple of a rumour that an update is due. I dont want to be left with outdated tech'. Is the D7000 the new D90 as suggested in What Digital Camera Magazine? Do I really need £1000 camera? I dont really know what to do? I hate decisions. :mad:

markD90

what do you want from the camera?

i would rather buy new lens's more than a new body!
i never have used the video on it so i dont mind that it does not autofocus on video!

Michael Black

For Me being a complete novice at photography and learning along the way, I could not say enough about the D-90. It has really stumped at times and at other times it has amazed me more than I could possibly hope for. If it was me I would buy a new D-90 today,as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong. Check out the photos from the D-90 on this site,it will show you what it can do.Also the video does ok, but the thing is it does not auto focus. Have fun no matter what camera you chose. Also as far as I know the lens from the Nikon film cameras fit it with no adapter. Mike

fotojack

Get whatever Nikon camera you can afford. Then put your money into good glass. It's the lenses, not the camera, that make it happen. Absolutely nothing wrong with the D90. Awesome camera. You might even want to take a look at a used D200. You will never outgrow it. Remember.....it's the lens that's important, not so much the camera. I, personally, don't see the need for video in a dslr camera, but.......hey.......that's just me. :)

Joseph Bautsch

"I don't want to be left with outdated tech'." if your that technically oriented then wait for a new one to come out however long that may be. But you may be waiting for next years model for a long time. Nikon is selling the current D90 by the boat load and as long as they are doing that they may not be to anxious to change it. The D90 right now meets the requirements quality wise of most all advanced amateurs as well as many at the professional level. I purchased the current D90 for it's quality shooting ability and dollar value, not for the latest and greatest features.

johnwartjr

The D90 is a great body at a great price. It has adequate sensor, and is compatible with more lenses than the D3000/D5000.

I would recommend it to anyone.

johnwartjr

Here are some 3200 ISO shots I took on a trip to the aquarium last year. This is with the 18-105 kit lens.

Enlarged, you start to see noise, but it could be a lot worse when comparing it to other cameras - if you want a full resolution JPG, just PM me and I'll e-mail it to you, since I can't post huge examples here..

d90_3200-11.jpgd90_3200-9.jpgd90_3200-15.jpgd90_3200-2.jpgd90_3200-10.jpgd90_3200-4.jpgd90_3200-3.jpgd90_3200-14.jpg

Tewy

Fantastic! Thanks John. So now for the big question. Should I buy on eBay or not? Is it safer to pay more but go to a dealer?

Joseph Bautsch

I got my D90 kit from Cameta Camera on line. Buying on line is OK as long as it is through a Nikon authorized and reliable dealer like B&H, Adorama or Cameta. You may pay a little more but you won't get ripped off.

johnwartjr

eBay sometimes scares me.

I've been on eBay for over 10 years, and have a feedback score of nearly 3500- and I don't use the site anywhere near as much as I used to. Too many pitfalls as a buyer and a seller.

I bought my D60 and D90 locally, where I could see and touch them before I paid. I bought my D700 from Amazon, since they are a 'reputable' retailer here.

I guess to me, I'd have to know what the camera body or kit would cost purchased on eBay versus your local retailer, then factor in the benefit. Are you saving $50? $100?

D90 kit from my local camera shop is $1030 + tax.
D90 kit on eBay US is selling for more than that for new, sealed.

fotojack

Think of the warranty, too. On E-Bay, I don't believe you get a warranty. My understanding is, unless you get it from an authorized Nikon dealer, there is no warranty. I may be wrong. To me, the warranty is worth the extra $50 or $100 it would otherwise cost. So, it comes down to "ya pays your money, ya takes your chances." What would YOU rather do? :)

Joseph Bautsch

You can order your D90 directly from B&H, or Adorama, or one of the other USA authorized dealers. These companies only advertise on eBay or Amazon. When I bought my kit from Cameta Camera I saved over $500 over the locals sales price. I also got the regular Nikon warranty and registration.

johnwartjr

I picked up some accessories from Cameta and have been happy with them. Same for Adorama. And Amazon.

I've also noticed a couple times that Adorama had better prices on memory cards through Amazon than they had on their own site.

markD90

i kept an eye on ebay for months and suddenly this D90 came up and it sold cheaply.... i emailed the seller and said if he had any problems with the buyer i would step in and pay cash and collect in person.....it was about an hour from me...he phoned and said if i wanted it it was mine....i was straight in the car

I love Ebay!!!!

Michael Black

I bought my D90 from a camera shop. I visit the shop often now , because the guys there are very knowledgeable about all the things that the D90 can do. You pay a little more some times but the service and the deals you get because you spent that money really save you a lot. I buy most of my inks and paper there. I also bought a Wedding album for my sister that was top notch for what a regular album would cost at the local "Mart" store. No problems at all with the shop.

Ruidoso Bill

[B said:
Michael Black;9026]I bought my D90 from a camera shop. I visit the shop often now , because the guys there are very knowledgeable about all the things that the D90 can do[/B].

I truly envy you, I wish I had a shop where I live. I would pay a little extra for the service and support. That knowledgeable personal touch is worth a lot.