Manual focus or autofocus on a wide angle lens???

Whiskeyman

I'm looking to purchase a 20mm or shorter focal length lens soon and am at a toss-up on whether to buy an autofocus or a manual focus lens. The hyper-focal settings look as though I can set hyper-focal focus and have the image in focus from about 1 meter to infinity at f/11 or so. This will work just fine for a lot of my plans for this lens. Does anyone have experience with both autofocus and manual focus lenses on a digital Nikon? What are your opinions on which to purchase?
WM

jwstl

I have a number of manual focus wide angle lenses. My most used ultra wide angle is the Rokinon 14 2.8. It's an FX lens that works well on both DX and FX. They also have a new 16mm f/2 DX lens that I'm considering buying. Are you looking for FX or DX?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

I have a number of manual focus wide angle lenses. My most used ultra wide angle is the Rokinon 14 2.8. It's an FX lens that works well on both DX and FX. They also have a new 16mm f/2 DX lens that I'm considering buying. Are you looking for FX or DX?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I definitely am looking at only FX lenses.

Kodiak

I often remind my sons that: "It's better to have a tool and not use it then missing it…"
Referring to tools one has already.

If you can afford it, go for the AF version knowing that you may always turn it off!
If you get a manual version, you won't have the option…

Have a good day…

Watch72

I manual focus mine (I don't have a choice). In a way it helps me by slowing me down - to think about the picture and what i wanted it to look like.

Whiskeyman

Thanks for the replies, but I didn't get a wide-angle lens while I was in Orlando.

The store had a used 18-35 VR for a good price, but I couldn't afford it with the other items I purchased. I am not disappointed with my choice of getting the 105 Micro instead.

I'll pay for the new lens and then start looking for a wide lens again.

WM

Kodiak

I can recognize the wisdom even in your avatar! …I wonder, though,
what's the bent ear for? Curiosity maybe… or?

Of course, you are granted the usual 24H.

Have a good day…

Rick M

I've had situations where it was difficult to manual focus and the auto bailed me out. Not to mention my eye is not getting any younger, so AF is usually better. The new 18-35g is excellent by the way!

aroy

I think manual focus is fine for landscape shots as the hyperfocal method works well for wide angle lenses. The major advantage of manual focus is that they have less (if any) electronics to go wrong and are generally lighter. They can also be used on almost all DSLR models in manual mode. It is only when you want to take close ups that AF helps a lot.

At times you may have to experiment with exposure if the DSLR does not do a good job, but a few tries with reference to the histogram will get you there. When I started, I had simple 35mm camera with no meter, hence learnt to expose by estimate only, and that was fine.

SkvLTD

As aroy said, depends on what you'll shoot with it predominantly. I'm trying to get a wide angle something for indoors and events, but despite trying to capture some action, all-manual controls help me get in the zone much better than AF/AI. Plus you know, oldies feel SOOO much better than new plasticy electronicy gimmicks.