S8100 USB Socket Problem

Flosex

I have a problem with the USB socket on my Nikon S8100 camera, but it could happen with any Nikon digital camera.

This morning, when I went to download pictures from the camera to my laptop, I mistakenly used the USB cable for my wife's Akai digital camera (the cables are very similar). I only realised the mistake when the laptop didn't recognise the camera. I change to my Nikon cable and found it wouldn't fit into the camera socket properly. Closer examination shows the sprog inside the socket appears to have been damaged.

Whereas I can get round downloading photographs by transferring them direct from the SD card, I cannot get round re-charging the camera battery. Is there a way round this, please?

Also, is the camera socket repairable and/or can it be replaced?

Thanks for any hep and/or advice.

​Flosex

Scott Murray

I have a problem with the USB socket on my Nikon S8100 camera, but it could happen with any Nikon digital camera.

This morning, when I went to download pictures from the camera to my laptop, I mistakenly used the USB cable for my wife's Akai digital camera (the cables are very similar). I only realised the mistake when the laptop didn't recognise the camera. I change to my Nikon cable and found it wouldn't fit into the camera socket properly. Closer examination shows the sprog inside the socket appears to have been damaged.

Whereas I can get round downloading photographs by transferring them direct from the SD card, I cannot get round re-charging the camera battery. Is there a way round this, please?

Also, is the camera socket repairable and/or can it be replaced?

Thanks for any hep and/or advice.

​Flosex
I would take it into a camera store and see if its viable to repair, if not you may have to buy a new one.

Flosex

Nikon estimated a minimum repair cost of £70 plus £15 for shipping and so I have decided to buy a new S9500 camera. The S9500 uses the same battery as the S8100 and so I will be able to charge the S8100 battery in the S9500! It will be nice to have a back-up camera for the first time in my life!

​Regards, Flosex