Speeding up autofocus

wiz561

I have the D5200 with the 18-55 mm Nikkor DX lens (stock). I'm just starting out with it and love the camera, but I'm finding the autofocus isn't as quick as I'd like it.

If I wanted to speed it up, is it as easy as getting a different lens? Something makes me think it's a lens thing and not a camera thing, but not 100% sure.

Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have the D5200 with the 18-55 mm Nikkor DX lens (stock). I'm just starting out with it and love the camera, but I'm finding the autofocus isn't as quick as I'd like it.

If I wanted to speed it up, is it as easy as getting a different lens? Something makes me think it's a lens thing and not a camera thing, but not 100% sure.

Thanks!

Switch to AF-C. I'm not sure if the D5200 has focus priority or shutter priority but that will also determine the delay in AF. For indoor, it is common for most lens to "hunt" if the lighting isn't that good. You can use your speedlight such as the SB 700 to help you acquire AF faster.

wiz561

Thanks; just filled out my profile after posting my first post.

I would have to agree that most of my shots have been in low light. Mostly indoors or outdoors under trees. Most of it is of my 18 month old son, who has a hard time sitting still. Without timing anything, I want to say it is about 2 seconds or so to get a lock. By the time I lock on and reposition the shot, it's usually already too late.

I have it set to focus priority and not shutter priority in the menus. I am also using the aperture setting with AF-S or AF-C and either a single point or the 9 point dynamic. The 3D focusing is interesting but haven't used it much. Sometimes it works great and other times it jumps all over the place.

Thanks!

Ijustwant1

Did I hear some one say 50mm 1.8G ! That's a great lens and you will find shooting with it in low light to be soooo much better the the kit lens ! Love the 50mm 1.8G :cool:

Last edited:

wiz561

I didn't want to bring it up, but I was thinking about the 50mm or the 35mm lens. They are reasonably priced and seemed to be favored well. I was actually thinking about the 35mm one, but open to opinions.

White Canvas

I didn't want to bring it up, but I was thinking about the 50mm or the 35mm lens. They are reasonably priced and seemed to be favored well. I was actually thinking about the 35mm one, but open to opinions.

I have the 35mm and its my favourite lens. Quick and sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2