D90 buying a used one?

roxy

Hi, just new to the forum for posting,have been reading and I'm learning a lot thanks to all the posters out there. I'm considering purchasing a used D90 with approximately 5000 pictures taken with it and less than a year old. In the past I have always purchaed new, but the price is good on this camera and it would be an up grade from my D40. My question is what should I be aware of or look for when I go to look at a used camera besides the obvious does it work. Thanks so much for your imput.

Ruidoso Bill

You can use Opanda or PhotoME, both free, to read your cameras Exif data so you can verify shutter actuations. Second is to try all the settings, change ISO, Shutter (including continuous), Aperture, etc. Third, I would try different lenses and make sure they function properly. 4th, I would check the built in flash, make sure it is operating. 5th, I would attach an external flash to make sure the hot shoe is working. You can check the sensor for dirt by shooting a white piece of paper (focus not important) and look for dirt spots, some very tiny. That's what I would check. You've gotta be pretty thorough since you won't have a warranty to fall back on.

Last edited by a moderator:

markD90

I bought a second hand 90 with 18-105 from the bay of flea!!

And its great!! It all depends what you're paying though, as to whether it's worth taking the chance I suppose|!!

Itook it... and so far fingers crossed!

roxy

Hi, again thanks for your advice. I have purchased the camera, now in the process of reading the manual. Can't believe how smooth the D90 runs my 70-300 lens, compared to the D40.

markD90

Don't read the manual....get yourself one of the dvd's. I got one and it was great!! Learned most of it in under 2 hours!

Curt

Mark is right, you can get a Blue Crane digital video just for the D90. It will walk you though all the functions. I would still suggest you read though your manual as well. But it is very important to get to know your Camera model inside out :).

Cagey75

I bought mine used, too, though it's still under warranty. I switched from a D200 because of the bad noise handling on that model. Loving the D90. Forget the manual, just get stuck in, you're already used to Nikon controls. They don't vary all that much from model to model, just extras on there. I only ever reach for a manual when I'm stuck on something specific, otherwise you don't really know what you're trying to learn from it :)

Good purchase, well done.