Pregnant lady

wud

What do you think?

line_9401_web.jpg

Iso 200, f/4, 1/1250 - sunny day, made the picture brighter in PP.

WhiteLight

Other than it being slightly over exposed (maybe that can be fixed by increasing the contrast a bit), i think i would've liked to see a happier expression :)

wud

Nice, but a bit washed out, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Its a layer, only on the left side. Maybe it could be made better, will look at it (later, as its so hot here now that my mousepad keps getting stuck :/).

wud

Other than it being slightly over exposed (maybe that can be fixed by increasing the contrast a bit), i think i would've liked to see a happier expression :)

Brightness made in post, so actually on purpose. Maybe you are right about expression, I dont know much about pregnant ladies!

Dave_W

The Dude
I like it and think the placement of the subject does a lot to express your vision. The feel it gives the viewer is one of loneliness and longing but at the same time there's a wide open future ahead of her. She looks slightly overwhelmed at the prospect of the future but also seems confident and while not jumping up and down over the prospect of being a mother, she doesn't appear to be unhappy about it either.

The overexposed look is very popular right now and may be the photographic style that will mark this era.

wud

You are good with words, Dave. Spot on, I wanted a thoughtful picture and I thought it needed to be bright because if i was darker, her expression may be seen as a bit sad.
Still learning what to explain while setting up a picture, maybe I should have instructed her more, telling what to think about, but this doesnt really come naturally to me (yet, maybe).

As always, I am trying to make a picture you could hang on a wall, therefore not portrait orientation. Not saying I am there yet, but thats my mission.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
A little adjustment using the RAW file to lower the brightness and add contrast as previously suggested will make it the image "pop" a little.

It's funny that I just did a maternity photo shoot with a client yesterday.

wud

A little adjustment using the RAW file to lower the brightness and add contrast as previously suggested will make it the image "pop" a little.

It's funny that I just did a maternity photo shoot with a client yesterday.

Could we see some of the pictures? :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Brightness made in post, so actually on purpose. Maybe you are right about expression, I dont know much about pregnant ladies!

The Color Efex Pro filter sets have a nice "classical soft" filter where you can get that ethereal, soft look without damaging/overexposing the picture. You can then mask and eliminate anything you don't want softened.

​Nice photo. i would definitely follow some of the suggestions to bring back the pop and detail and then use the efex filters to get the special effects.

wud

Helene, I did actually use softening. But after that I made a high pass sharpening (soft blend) layer for sharpening the lines of the lady. And then i drawed up a lot of the dark areas on her, with burn tool.

You mean contrast when you say pop?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Helene, I did actually use softening. But after that I made a high pass sharpening (soft blend) layer for sharpening the lines of the lady. And then i drawed up a lot of the dark areas on her, with burn tool.

You mean contrast when you say pop?

"Pop" is a little more than "contrast" . . . I would describe it more as "vibrance" (and BW photos have their own type of vibrance . . . various shades) . . . it's that combination of vibrance, detail and contrast that makes the photo come to life, or "pop".

I have to admit that I simply don't like the burn and dodge tools in photoshop --I've tried "liking" it LOL, but can't get quite the natural look without doing additional layering and editing. I found that if it's a particular area that needs to be lightened, Viveza (again by Nik software . . . google should hire me for promoting this LOL) does a more natural and certainly quicker adjustment.

This is a very artistic photo, so I'm sure you had a certain look in mind. You just need to experiment and fine tune until you get there.

PapaST

I definitely like the photo. I also like some of the higher contrast renditions too. I think the original photo stands well on its own. Like Rick said, it's a matter of personal taste. Nice work wud.

Scott Murray

I definitely like the photo. I also like some of the higher contrast renditions too. I think the original photo stands well on its own. Like Rick said, it's a matter of personal taste. Nice work wud.

Yes it all depends on what the photographer (Wud) was going for. I only edited the original due to the fact its 0340am and I wanted something to keep me awake while I am waiting for an emergency ;)

mikew_RIP

I would love to see as Helene called it that ethereal look.i would have no idea how to achieve it but in my mind i think i can see what she means.

mike