Nikon D3100 and kit lens distortion question

paul_b

I have bought the following camera:
NIKON D3100 DSLR with AF-S DX 18-55 mm VR Zoom Lens.

I'm using DxO Optics Pro to develop just the RAW (NEF files).

My question is: Even with distortion control turned off in camera (so i can perform it in DxO) there seems to be hardly any lens distortion correction being applied to the images by DxO at all (if any).

I'm so used to my previous camera's images (Lumix G3 & 14-42 mm kit Lens) having lots of lens distortion being corrected by DxO that it just seems a bit weird that DxO is finding hardly any distortion with the new Nikon's images.

Has anybody else found this too with the Nikon D3100? Is it possible that the Nikon just doesn't produce hardly any distortion with that supplied lens? Or, is there something I'm doing wrong (some settings etc).

The Lumix G3 was micro 4/3's and then Nikon is APS-C.

Many Thanks

daveg

Turn it on in-camera and take a shot at 18mm where you can see distortion in the viewfinder.

Then review the file and see how much distortion has been cured by the Distortion Control in-camera.

OR take a shot at 18mm which shows distortion and then use the Retouch Menu to correct the distortion in-camera.

This will show how much Nikon thinks that it needs it.

I assume that you have the latest Distortion Control Update.

P.S. You can leave it on in Camera because (AFAIK) DXO will not read the Distortion Control in the NEF anyway. Only CNX2 does that.

DG

paul_b

Thanks for the great replies.

Yes, i have taken a shot at 18mm with distortion control off (I'm new to photography and i assume that is a shot with the least amount of zoom as possible with that lens?).

Both Lightroom and DxO are applying very little lens distortion correction (very slight). I'm assuming that it must just be that there isn't really any lens distortion there to correct! If so, wow! Like i previously mentioned, it just seems a surprise to me as my Lumix G3 produced lots of distortion at minimum zoom!