Got my Nikon 16-85mm lens

mikeh32217

And I gotta say I'm really happy with it so far despite what Ken Rockwell says. If you read his review of the 16-85 he claims; link

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Honestly, Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens ($120) has the same quality optics, but without most of the convenience features of the 16-85mm. I'm not kidding: I've compared them directly against each other. [/FONT]

Here's a picture of the steps I just finished patching, actually not done yet but humidity is so high and the afternoon sun is directly done on them.

18-55 and 16-85 Lens Compare.jpg

The 16-85 is on the right and the kit lens on the left. Now I'm blind as all get out but even I can tell the difference.

Anyway my D7000 is on the way, should be here Mon. or Tues. and am really looking forward to getting out and doing some real snapping.

WayneF

If you want to see an actual lens test (more than ... duh... it looks OK to me)
then see Nikon / Nikkor (APS-C) Lens Tests for both. (right hand column)

Bring up two browser pages side by side to compare. Look at test results at the same aperture, like f/5.6, like 24mm. Look at Vignetting, distortion, resolution. There is a pretty big difference, in favor of 16-85

Which is a little surprising, because the extended zoom ranges normally suffer.
But again, 3x price normally does buy something. :)

Last edited:

mikeh32217

I didn't browse side by side but I relied heavily on that site and members from here. I must say it's well build, has nice features and all-in-all glad I got it.
It was a toss up between the Nikon 16-85 and the Tamron 17-50!

Whiskeyman

Now that's concrete evidence right there..

BAH-DAUM-TEEESH!! Ladies and Gentlemen, please tip your waitress and bartenders generously on our way out... You've been a great audience tonight!!!

Now, seriously. Congratulations on the new lens, Mike. I've been looking at this one and look forward to seeing more of your shots taken with it.

​WM

Last edited:

Michael J.

Congratulation - I like my 16-85. I compared a lot to my 18-55 and I am not an enemy of my money to spend it for no improvement of quality. So be happy forget the revies from KR and forget rules :)

mikeh32217

Congrats on the new toys! I bet your going nuts waiting on the new Nikon to get there! I know I would be!lol :D

Yeah I've been trying to keep busy to keep my mind off of it but it's hard. :) I've been waiting to get this camera for a year so I guess a couple of days won't hurt. :)