Fuji X10 pictures

Epoc

but I know a few people on here own one and as this is my favourite tog forum by a country mile, I thought I'd ask here anyways :)

With all this talk lately on here about P&S cameras, I'm thinking I could use one for those times when a DSLR is just too big and cumbersome. For me, times like these are mainly when I'm biking. I really don't want to risk my gear on my bike. So, a nice P&S should fill this void.

Firstly, I don't want to spend much money. I have enough invested in my DSLR gear to buy a new car. My budget is $300-$350 MAX. I've been looking at the offerings from the usual contenders and in my price range, nothing jumps out. That is until I found what I think is a great deal on a new Fuji X10. I know this is not the latest technology, but geez it's a great looking, robustly built camera with, from what I've read reasonably good IQ. So, now for me anyways the best bit, price! $312AUD delivered to my door from an Aussie online shop.

So, what do you folk who own an X10 think of it? Does the fact the lens is viewable in the viewfinder when shooting wide annoy you? Is the RAW "softness" an issue? Is there any reason you wouldn't buy it again? Feel free to give it a bashing, but also, feel free to praise it.

My decision is not quite set in stone yet, so if anyone can recommend another camera at a similar price point, please go right ahead.

​Your input is appreciated.

Last edited:

AC016

Re: Fuji X10. Yes I know it's not a Nikon

The only thing I can say, is that the X10 is far more classy than a P&S and should not be put in that catergory ;)

Epoc

Thank-you Glenn. It is good to hear you are still fond of your X10. I have heard about the famous Fuji colours :) Do you find issue with the fact you can see the lens in the viewfinder when shooting wide?

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Thank-you Glen. It is good to hear you are still fond of your X10. I have heard about the famous Fuji colours :) Do you find issue with the fact you can see the lens in the viewfinder when shooting wide?

I rely on the LCD more often since it gives me the accurate composition compared to the viewfinder.

It's good enough for ring side Sumo tournament.

X10 Sumo 027 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Epoc

Great shot. Certainly looks the goods. Looks like I am making a purchase. Thank-you for your input :)

Epoc

Well, I am now the proud owner of a shiny new X10. Battery is charging and the manual is waiting to be read. I also grabbed a genuine Fuji leather case they had on sale for a mere $10! Bloody hurry up battery ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375158423.146583.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375158446.439161.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375158469.885758.jpg

Epoc

Quick question Glenn, do you use only genuine Fuji batteries or are aftermarket OK?

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Quick question Glenn, do you use only genuine Fuji batteries or are aftermarket OK?

I only have one original battery and two generic batteries that I purchased from Amazon. They work pretty good and are not expensive.

Epoc

Well after about 15 mins in the manual and after the battery charging light went out, I couldn't wait any longer. These are my 1st attempts. Straight out of the camera and I'm super impressed. Nothing special subject wise, except of course my beautiful wife ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375173565.490758.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375173420.014942.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375173596.557716.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375173706.794079.jpg

NB: not sure why I am getting that thin white line on 1 border. Doesn't appear on the originals

Epoc

Could resist, 1 more. Tonight tea :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375174950.893778.jpg

By the way, it works great with my Eye Fi card :)

Epoc

Got myself 2 x 1500mAh batteries, a 110/240V mains charger and a 12/24V car charger for under $25! Happy as Larry :)

White Canvas

but I know a few people on here own one and as this is my favourite tog forum by a country mile, I thought I'd ask here anyways :)

With all this talk lately on here about P&S cameras, I'm thinking I could use one for those times when a DSLR is just too big and cumbersome. For me, times like these are mainly when I'm biking. I really don't want to risk my gear on my bike. So, a nice P&S should fill this void.

Firstly, I don't want to spend much money. I have enough invested in my DSLR gear to buy a new car. My budget is $300-$350 MAX. I've been looking at the offerings from the usual contenders and in my price range, nothing jumps out. That is until I found what I think is a great deal on a new Fuji X10. I know this is not the latest technology, but geez it's a great looking, robustly built camera with, from what I've read reasonably good IQ. So, now for me anyways the best bit, price! $312AUD delivered to my door from an Aussie online shop.

So, what do you folk who own an X10 think of it? Does the fact the lens is viewable in the viewfinder when shooting wide annoy you? Is the RAW "softness" an issue? Is there any reason you wouldn't buy it again? Feel free to give it a bashing, but also, feel free to praise it.

My decision is not quite set in stone yet, so if anyone can recommend another camera at a similar price point, please go right ahead.

​Your input is appreciated.

I had a similar discussion about what camera I might get for travelling in developing countries. Here is the thread link - http://nikonites.com/general-compac...-travel-camera-suggestions.html#axzz2aZjRLQSC

You can see from the discussion I decided on the X20 and I love it. Brilliant camera for lots of reasons. Here are some images and my thoughts - http://www.flickr.com/photos/derekhall/sets/72157634516023080
http://whitecanvasimages.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/finding-the-right-travel-camera/
http://whitecanvasimages.wordpress.com/2013/07/07/explored-while-exploring-the-x20/

I hope this helps you to decided. I understand there X10 is similar to the X20 but here is what Snapsort think off them both - http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm-FinePix-x20-vs-Fujifilm-X10

Derek

Epoc

Thanks Derek,

I actually read your Nikonites thread. My budget was limited. X20 was out due to cost. + the $300 difference in price just didn't add up. I'm very happy with my $312 X10 purchase. For me it's basically a high tech P&S.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Thanks Derek,

I actually read your Nikonites thread. My budget was limited. X20 was out due to cost. + the $300 difference in price just didn't add up. I'm very happy with my $312 X10 purchase. For me it's basically a high tech P&S.

Now time to "pimp" it up.