Exposure: 1/160
ISO: 200
Available light.

5174588062_5f6f47609e_z.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Buckingham Fountain in Chicago. Handheld. Exported from Lightroom.

Camera: D300
Lens: Nikon 85mm F1.8 AF-D
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
F Stop: 1.8
Exposure: 1/30
ISO: 560
Exposure Compensation: -0.7

Chicago_2010_0717_21095132_D300-Edit.jpg

fotojack

The only 85mm lens I have is the macro version, and it's definitely NOT the f/1.8 version! :) It's the f/3.5G. But, I love it for macro shots and general picture taking.

Last edited:

fotojack

Ranie, some of my more recent macro shots are in my album under Macro. I haven't taken any outdoor flower shots as of yet, but I plan to change that soon, during the winter. :)

Last edited:

Ranie

Ranie, some of my more recent macro shots are in my album under Macro. I haven't taken any outdoor flower shots as of yet, but I plan to change that soon, during the winter. :)

Ok. We will be waiting for your posts. It seems that only a few of us here have that lens.

johnwartjr

The new 85 1.4 is my next 'wanted' lens, but the price means I have to wait awhile :)

I have used an older Nikkor 85mm 1.4 on film, many many moons ago, Or maybe it was a 2.0, I can't remember. Why don't my old B&W negatives have EXIF data? :)

Was a nice lens and I wish I still had access to it!

Ranie

The new 85 1.4 is my next 'wanted' lens, but the price means I have to wait awhile :)

I have used an older Nikkor 85mm 1.4 on film, many many moons ago, Or maybe it was a 2.0, I can't remember. Why don't my old B&W negatives have EXIF data? :)

Was a nice lens and I wish I still had access to it!

John, was it the 85mm F1.4 AIS Manual focus lens? Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AI-S Review
If its the one, yo got a gem there. Thats the "King of Portraits"
I had a chance to play with one not so long ago. Keeps me drooling...........

imnunky

DSC_2474 (Medium).JPGI know this is does not meet what ever criteria, other than being a 85 1.8 First of only three shots ever taken with this lens, I am still practicing with all of them, and I suspect I am too close, within it's closest focal length, I hate to pose people so catching unawares is my preferance

Last edited:

Ranie

View attachment 817I know this is does not meet what ever criteria, other than being a 85 1.8 First of only three shots ever taken with this lens, I am still practicing with all of them, and I suspect I am too close, within it's closest focal length, I hate to pose people so catching unawares is my preferance

Hi imnunky. Was this a hastily shot? My observation is that your subject is out of focus nor sharp.

imnunky

Hi imnunky. Was this a hastily shot? My observation is that your subject is out of focus nor sharp.
Yes your absolutly right, It was very hurried and I think I was too close, as stated I believe I was within the closest focal length, approx 36", I do love to get in close, Oh well better luck next time Te He

imnunky

I hope I don't get heck for doing a second photo, just too show this pic was taken at the same day, time, same distance, also hurried but I wanted the sparkler as I have never had a chance before, what do Scouts say "always be prepared" Well I tried, and even got a flare, in this case I didn't care, even variant colours around the high lights, whole new experience for me, So OK what would the more experienced guy's have done, Maybe I should put this in the critique post what do you think? DSC_2475 (Medium).JPG

Ranie

I hope I don't get heck for doing a second photo, just too show this pic was taken at the same day, time, same distance, also hurried but I wanted the sparkler as I have never had a chance before, what do Scouts say "always be prepared" Well I tried, and even got a flare, in this case I didn't care, even variant colours around the high lights, whole new experience for me, So OK what would the more experienced guy's have done, Maybe I should put this in the critique post what do you think? View attachment 818

This is a better shot. I was just surprised by your first photo. This lens is one of the sharpest lens from Nikon.

Joseph Bautsch

In the first shot it looks like a lack of depth of field is the problem. The camera focused on the fingers and the depth of field quickly fell off putting the face out of focus. This will happen when you focus at the or near the minimum focusing distance of the lens (3 ft.) in combination with a large aperture opening (f/1.8 ?). (You were probably still a little too close as the fingers are not quite in focus.) In the second shot there was enough depth of field to put the subject in focus. You can see just how shallow the DOF is by the out of focus foreground and the out of focus background. Controlling the depth of field is not that difficult if you understand the elements that affect it and how they work. Refer to my blog on Depth of Field Primer for a more detailed explanation.

Last edited:

imnunky

Joseph, Yes sir you are right on all counts, there was one other photo but it is very raw, Of my granddaughter pulling a hissy fit underneath a table, but it is sharp with flash assist making it very stark, thank you for your advice and yes I will consult your blog