What lens do I get next.

mrcool90

I've got a Nikon D60. i have 2 lense Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-6.6G
Tamron AF70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Tele-Macro (1:2)

I'm looking to try my hand at low light photography and light painting photography.

My question is. What type of lens am I best getting next?
I was looking at the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
or
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

Am I best sticking with what I have in terms of lenses and getting a new body? I was looking at the Nikon D3100 or D3200

Mycenius

Get something fast, f/2.8 or better... Either a prime 35mm or 50mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4 or an ultra wide like the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, or Tokina or Nikon 12-24 f/2.8 or similar... Depending on your budget...

Alternately a (used?) Nikon 17-55 f/2.8...

These are all good fast glass for low light, and have lots of other uses too.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

mrcool90

Thanks for the help guys.
What's the difference between a 35mm and a 50mm 1.8G?

Both are roughly the same price. Just want to know which would be the better option.

Rick M

Thanks for the help guys.
What's the difference between a 35mm and a 50mm 1.8G?

Both are roughly the same price. Just want to know which would be the better option.

The 35mm gives you a 15mm wider focal range which means a wider field of view. Put your 18-55 on to see the difference between the two. If you are interested in low light and more funtions, take a look at the D5100 over the D3xxx series. The D5100 body is a great buy right now, even new it's very reasonable as an inexpensive upgrade an has a great low-light sensor.

Horoscope Fish

I've got a Nikon D60. i have 2 lenseS Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-6.6G
Tamron AF70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Tele-Macro (1:2)

I'm looking to try my hand at low light photography and light painting photography.

My question is. What type of lens am I best getting next?
I was looking at the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
or
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

Am I best sticking with what I have in terms of lenses and getting a new body? I was looking at the Nikon D3100 or D3200
You've got a pair of pretty versatile lenses there while, in my opinion, the D60 is getting a little long in the tooth. The D3200 would certainly be a significant upgrade. If you could stretch it, I'd suggest the D5200. Either of your current lenses would work fine for low light photography, as long as you have a tripod.

You're going to want some kind of remote shutter release, too, because using the shot timer is going to get old really, really FAST. If you reeeeally want to take complete control over your low light shooting, look into something like the Vello Shutterboss.

Last edited:

mrcool90

You've got a pair of pretty versatile lenses there while, in my opinion, the D60 is getting a little long in the tooth. The D3200 would certainly be a significant upgrade. If you could stretch it, I'd suggest the D5200. Either of your current lenses would work fine for low light photography, as long as you have a tripod.

You're going to want some kind of remote shutter release, too, because using the shot timer is going to get old really, really FAST. If you reeeeally want to take complete control over your low light shooting, look into something like the Vello Shutterboss.

Thanks again for the replies. I was looking at d3200 then Rick M mentioned the d5100. The price difference is about £20. I'm assuming the d3200 would be a better purchase than the d5100, due to the d3200 would be newer and being 24 megapixels.

I have a wireless shutter release and tripod at hand. I used to use the timer and its frustrating.

Horoscope Fish

Thanks again for the replies. I was looking at d3200 then Rick M mentioned the d5100. The price difference is about £20. I'm assuming the d3200 would be a better purchase than the d5100, due to the d3200 would be newer and being 24 megapixels.
It's almost a tough call between the D5100 and the D3200, but not quite... Both have features I'd like that the other lacks. That being said, you do get significantly better resolution on the D3200, as well as better color depth. Those are two big factors in my book and the combination is enough to tip the scales in favor of the D3200. I think you'll find it a significant upgrade over your current D60 to be sure. My first major upgrade was from a D40 to a D5100 and the difference was pretty profound.

I have a wireless shutter release and tripod at hand. I used to use the timer and its frustrating.
Sounds like you're set, then!

Last edited:

Rick M

The D3200 does not have auto bracketing hence my suggestion for the D5100 at almost the same price point. From there, of course the D5200 is even better. Get the D7100, it's better than the D5200. Actually forget all that, you need a D4

mrcool90

The D3200 does not have auto bracketing hence my suggestion for the D5100 at almost the same price point. From there, of course the D5200 is even better. Get the D7100, it's better than the D5200. Actually forget all that, you need a D4

Hmm I do like the look of the D4, wish I could afford that or even the d5200. Well seems to be toss up between the d3200 and the 5100.

Horoscope Fish

Hmm I do like the look of the D4, wish I could afford that or even the d5200. Well seems to be toss up between the d3200 and the 5100.
Are you seriously going to let several thousand dollars stand between you and a new Nikon D4?

Come ON man, sell some blood or something...