Point and shoot. Do I need one?

FastGlass

I realize by me asking this question i'm going to get as many answers as responces. I feel that in some circumstances lugging around a SLR is just to much to shoot just the snap shot photos. I was recently at a water park and did not want to lug around even my D90. So I didn't get any shots of my boys at all. Then I thought that this would be a good occasion to have a P/S but which one. So my question is. How many of you still own a P/S and which one do you own. Here are a few features I would want in a P/S. Ability to shoot RAW. Ability to add on a external flash. To have a APS-C size sensor. Ability to shoot shutter, aperture priority. Don't feel I need any thing above 8mp but I realize they may be hard to find. I do not have a spending limit. I did look briefly but holy crap, I could spend hours looking at them all. Thanks in advance.

Lurch

Everytime I pick up a 'generic' P&S or snap a pic with my phone, I'm always so bitterly disappointed compared to what I get with a 'real' camera.
The best alternative I've found is with a small mirrorless (eg: my Pentax Q)
I've found that kind of camera to be the best alternative when you're used to have a "proper" photos.
If I didnt have the Q, I'd be looking at a '1' series for sure.

No shame in owning a p/s of merit. The best camera is the one you have with you and there are some good choices out there. Nikon is probably leading the market at this moment but it is not alone in this class. Outdoor Photographer magazine did an article in this month's issue called "Pocket Camera Adventure" which you can read on their website.

PapaST

That's what I call a serious compact camera. Maybe the Sony RX100 will fit some of your needs. Not counting my phone (which I do consider a p&s) I have a Nikon AW100 and a Canon SX40. My AW100 goes with me on backpacking trips, in the pool, boats, paddling, etc. My Canon goes on business trips and to my daughter's plays when I don't want to be "that guy" with the DSLR. The mirrorless cameras have intrigued me and I'm considering one.

Moab Man

I would have felt similar in opinion about a point and shoot not being adequate until having looked at Alan's photo's from his (going from rusty memory) Nikon 510 or something like that. His work proves two things for me. First, it's the photographer. Second, you need a quality tool and his photos show me the convergence of the two.

Last edited:

Deezey

My main birding camera is a P&S Canon sx40hs. (I like canon P&S's and Nikon dSLR's.)

When you boil it all down the camera is just a tool. No matter what it is. If you feel you can accomplish your photographic goals with a certain tool I say go for it. It has to make you happy.....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Vincent

I really like the small "bad" camera's.

There is clearly a disadvantage you assign to your D90, too much, too complicated, too heavy, etc...
So the criteria for a small camera is what makes you leave the D90 at home?

My take on this:
1) Weight: If taking a picture is not your primary goal of an event, you might carry along a very small camera just if something appears that you want to put on film. Typically I have a camera next to me in the car, I shoot a lot in traffic jams, at stop lights, etc...
2) Size/risk: If you risk to damage your camera or will move to much to keep it with you. Cheap airlines, beach visit in the rain, etc...
3) As with your SLR, you will have to choose for the circumstances. Do you need a fast lens (Nikon) or will you need zoom (Bridge), etc...

These days:
1) Look at what your phone, tablet can do => I find this OK but till yesterday it was limited on circumstance, today it improved a lot.
2) Check sites that do testing over the complete market, there is a lot of bad material, but there are some gems that come out every day.
3) Look at promotions, the most expensive is certainly not always the best.

carguy

I'm still happy with my Galaxy S3 mobile for a daily carry camera. Haven't owned a point and shoot since my Canon I shelved in 2007 when I bought the D40.

mikew_RIP

I realize by me asking this question i'm going to get as many answers as responces. I feel that in some circumstances lugging around a SLR is just to much to shoot just the snap shot photos. I was recently at a water park and did not want to lug around even my D90. So I didn't get any shots of my boys at all. Then I thought that this would be a good occasion to have a P/S but which one. So my question is. How many of you still own a P/S and which one do you own. Here are a few features I would want in a P/S. Ability to shoot RAW. Ability to add on a external flash. To have a APS-C size sensor. Ability to shoot shutter, aperture priority. Don't feel I need any thing above 8mp but I realize they may be hard to find. I do not have a spending limit. I did look briefly but holy crap, I could spend hours looking at them all. Thanks in advance.

I dont see any mention of eye level finder,unless it goes without saying.

mike

FastGlass

The main reason for my interest is lets face it. I'm not going to carry a SLR every where. But I would a P/S. There are just to many operatunities I seem to be missing. To me there are two kinds of photo's. The ones I normally take. Which every photo I take I try to put 110% of thought, creativity into. I try and make every photo frame worthy. And there's the other kind of photo. The ones most people take to try and capture a peice of time of any preticular moment to put into a scrap book. Those photos don't really need special thought put into them. Their there to simply stick into the pages of albums of family outings and those special moments to bring you back to. The only reason for me considering a P/S is sometimes I just don't feel like carrying a SLR around.

The main reason for my interest is lets face it. I'm not going to carry a SLR every where. But I would a P/S. There are just to many operatunities I seem to be missing. To me there are two kinds of photo's. The ones I normally take. Which every photo I take I try to put 110% of thought, creativity into. I try and make every photo frame worthy. And there's the other kind of photo. The ones most people take to try and capture a peice of time of any preticular moment to put into a scrap book. Those photos don't really need special thought put into them. Their there to simply stick into the pages of albums of family outings and those special moments to bring you back to. The only reason for me considering a P/S is sometimes I just don't feel like carrying a SLR around.

For those times I have my iPhone 5

Rick M

I picked up a Canon G15 about a Month ago and love it. Wanted one for the same reasons, tourism, amusement parks, snapshots in general. I decided I had to stay small, the more I looked (apsc sensors, 4/3, mirrorless) the more I kept getting closer to lugging around a DSLR. The Canon fit the bill for me with a slightly larger sensor and viewfinder.

Here's a thread I started with some shots and discussion:

http://nikonites.com/general-compact-digital-cameras/14174-please-excuse-canon.html#axzz2a0znZecT

singlerosa_RIP

I've used a Canon (sorry) S90 with a Franiec grip for 3+ years and it bridges the gap between my DSLRs and my iPhone big-time. There's newer models out by Nikon and Canon, but I bought the Canon because it shot Raw, had full exposure triangle control and could fit in my pocket. Traveling light and having control, good AUTO and low noise at high ISO were my purchase criteria. I didn't need external flash because I wanted my kit to fit into my pocket.

Last edited:

Bill16

I'm still so excited about having my SLR that I just can't build up much interest in carrying a point and shoot.lol :D But I can understand why a point and shoot might have it's appeal after seeing this thread.