Civil War at Night

Mike150

I've been offered an interesting proposal and don't know what to do.
Some friends of mine participate in Civil War Reenactments on most weekends during the summer. First weekend in August, they will be near Montpelier Va (home of James Madison). On Saturday, there will be Night firing of the cannon batteries as well as the infantrymen firing muskets at night.

I've been invited to a front row seat within 50 or so yards of the cannons (not as a target) and we hope to get some night shots of the event. I'll really only get one attempt at it because it's too dangerous to attempt reloading in the dark.

Now for my problem. My D60 is the worlds worst for noise when using ISO greater than 200 so I'll probably be limited to that. I'm guessing the 50mm 1.8 will do the job, but I also have the 18-55 kit and the 105mm 2.8 macro. I'll have plenty of daylight to set up the tripod and focus the camera.

All I can guess is using a moderate F stop (F8 or so) and just open the shutter. The shot will be preceded by the Ready Aim Fire so I can open it at Aim and keep it open for several seconds using bulb mode.

Anyone have any experience in this area who can offer suggestions?

Rick M

Glad you're not going to be the target! But that would also be a once in a lifetime opportunity :). I think the 50mm 1.8 and maybe take some day shots to test the DoF needed. Hopefully you can back off from f8 to gain some speed. What time at night? Completely dark?

RockyNH_RIP

I've been offered an interesting proposal and don't know what to do.
Some friends of mine participate in Civil War Reenactments on most weekends during the summer. First weekend in August, they will be near Montpelier Va (home of James Madison). On Saturday, there will be Night firing of the cannon batteries as well as the infantrymen firing muskets at night.

I've been invited to a front row seat within 50 or so yards of the cannons (not as a target) and we hope to get some night shots of the event. I'll really only get one attempt at it because it's too dangerous to attempt reloading in the dark.

Now for my problem. My D60 is the worlds worst for noise when using ISO greater than 200 so I'll probably be limited to that. I'm guessing the 50mm 1.8 will do the job, but I also have the 18-55 kit and the 105mm 2.8 macro. I'll have plenty of daylight to set up the tripod and focus the camera.

All I can guess is using a moderate F stop (F8 or so) and just open the shutter. The shot will be preceded by the Ready Aim Fire so I can open it at Aim and keep it open for several seconds using bulb mode.

Anyone have any experience in this area who can offer suggestions?

Mike, do you have any info (web link, flyer etc) on this event?? I am next door in NH
and may want to swing by if I do not have other plans...

Pat in NH

Mike150

Good suggestion Rick. I plan to get there before dark to pick a set up place. Also to take some photos of the Reenactors. A lot of the wives and kids will be there in costume also. Because of the difficulty I have walking, the colonel is going to reserve me a parking area between the officers bivouac area and the artillery battery. The actual night firing will be once it gets dark.

rfd452002

I belong to an artillery civil war reenactment group. We have 2 wives in our group who do all of our photography. They use Canon cameras. I don't know what lenses they use but I know they use the settings ISO 400, f4.6, and shutter on bulb setting. If you would like to go to our website Home and check out some of the pictures. The Appomattox album has 2 pictures of night fires.