Newbe from Luxembourg

Vincent

Hello,

About 15 years ago I was convinced I would never own a camera, I like to see things, no time to put them on film.
Then I went to Asia for work reasons and thought it would be good to have some pictures to remember, so I got into point and shoot.
I really enjoy point and shoot, get the action when it appears, capture quick ideas. One of the issues was the film, I did shoot very irregularly.
The SLR of my father Canon ... never got a lot of my interest, too heavy, too complicated.
With the arrival of digital cameras the film issue was resolved, I went for the Olympus Camedia C-720 3MP Digital Camera w/ 8x Optical Zoom.
I still have it in the car, but did not use it since long. After some years 3MP and no stabilisation did not give results in line with modern cameras.
For the still rare use I went for the Panasonic DMC-FZ18, I already tried to use more manual settings on this, without much success, and used a circular polarised filter. I actually still like this camera, light and versatile, good for a quick picture, but sometimes difficulty to focus on what I want.
Following I got into car spotting, again point and shoot, but missed a lot of shots since I found the camera to slow and big to have it everywhere.
So I bought a Samsung WB600, again I still like this carmera and use it, even if I scratched the lens. But I also see other spotters come with a lot better pictures. I also started taking pictures during car races, e.g. 24h of Le Mans. Here you really run into the limits of none-SLRs.
So a few years ago I saw the Nikon D7000, but found it too expensive, prices have gone down recently, so here I am.
I bought it with the 50mm f1,8 AF-S, I like the lens, probably should have gone for a 35mm in the DX format though.
For the races I will go crazy and buy the Nikkor 70-200 f2,8 VRII. I also need a wide lens, since around parked cars I already noticed that I need more place then there is mostly available with the 50mm. My choice is the
TOKINA 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X PRO DX NIKON.

So the current set-up would be: 11-16mm f2,8 -- 50mm f1,8 -- 70-200mm f2,8 which seems quite workable and super set up (currently I plan never to replace this). With for the zooms a UV and a Circular polar filter.

Next: I´m thinking about (further and further in time)

• ML-L3 remote to go with my cheap tripod for very long openings on (mirror up) night shots.
  • a Nikon 10,5 fisheye f2,8 for really crazy pictures when there is no space to position at all
  • a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC (if the 11-16mm + 50mm really does not work on normal walks)
  • a Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 (most improbable, this would be for wildlife photography/ spotting behind closures - e.g. I would like to start taking pictures of birds of pray)

The weakest point in my set-up is yours truly, so I´m hoping to get Nikonited!

Vincent

Thanks for the welcomes!

I bought it with the 50mm f1,8 AF-S, I like the lens, probably should have gone for a 35mm in the DX format though.

• a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC (if the 11-16mm + 50mm really does not work on normal walks)
I remembered why I bought that 50mm, it was recommended for race shooting, since it is so fast. I do believe that it is good for that as a 75mm equivalent (did not try yet). However I'm abusing it for the moment for general purpose.

Actually already considering to not go for a 17-50mm zoom, but a prime lens that is faster in the "lower normal" range. I'll have to get experience though to see what would suit me and what the cost is I should take.

Axe13

Welcome.
My first point and shoot was also an Olympus camedia but a model C900zoom. That served me well for some years. It was ok for those small web images.

Vincent

So a few years ago I saw the Nikon D7000, but found it too expensive, prices have gone down recently, so here I am.
For the races I will go crazy and buy the Nikkor 70-200 f2,8 VRII. I also need a wide lens, since around parked cars I already noticed that I need more place then there is mostly available with the 50mm. My choice is the
TOKINA 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X PRO DX NIKON.

So the current set-up would be: 11-16mm f2,8 -- 50mm f1,8 -- 70-200mm f2,8 which seems quite workable and super set up (currently I plan never to replace this). With for the zooms a UV and a Circular polar filter.

Next: I´m thinking about (further and further in time)

• ML-L3 remote to go with my cheap tripod for very long openings on (mirror up) night shots.
  • a Nikon 10,5 fisheye f2,8 for really crazy pictures when there is no space to position at all
  • a Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 (most improbable, this would be for wildlife photography/ spotting behind closures - e.g. I would like to start taking pictures of birds of pray)

The weakest point in my set-up is yours truly, so I´m hoping to get Nikonited!

I must have my D7000 about a year now, I wanted to revisit to see what I thought back then.

Well it seems I did not think of buying a kit lens (18-105) or a telephoto prime (500), but I did.
I also went a lot quicker in buying material then I had foreseen and bought a lot more material (tripods, filters).

I´m having a lot of fun and do not regret starting this adventure.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Welcome! I have only been in Luxembourg once, but it is certainly beautiful. You have no lack of interesting subjects to take pictures of where you live!