Nikon Distortion Control Data

MPSanSouci

Hello All!!!

Not sure where this question would go .. there is not a [Miscellaneous] section ..

Last week, back on Wednesday the 18th, I came across an article regarding a Nikon DSLR update .. "Nikon Distortion Control Data".

I tried to post the URL for the update, but the site does not allow it.

Is this something I/we should all be doing .. looking into?

If so, would it be possible for a moderator to PM me so I can supply him/her with the URL for posting?

Please advise.

Michael

MPSanSouci

Thanks [WhiteLight] .. I'd rather be a tad late with news than not at all!!!

Being new to the forum, I didn't want to start of on a 'bad foot'!

Michael :dejection:

Geoffc

I confirmed yesterday that the distortion control does not affect raw images, just the jpgs. I believe it would affect the jpg embedded in a raw so you may see a difference in preview.

MPSanSouci

Thank you both for the info ..

1st .. Updates .. I'm the same way .. I like to keep everything "up-to-date", especially when someone who knows more than you says that you should .. ;)

2nd .. I know that there is A LOT of discussion/debate about shooting RAW and JPEG. For now, I am on the JPEG side. I know that a lot of people will disagree with me for various reasons and I do not want this to become a "heated" conversation.

I do not believe in touching up your photos simply because your personal experience shooting makes your picture. If you have to 'touch it up' after you've taken the picture, then you did not take it correctly the first time. I only use Adobe's Photoshop for cropping and adjusting the picture size before I print it. If I do not like how the photo came out, then I'll try various other ways to take the picture until it does come out the way I wanted.

This is just my personal opinion and nothing more. :confused:

Michael

Horoscope Fish

If you have to 'touch it up' after you've taken the picture, then you did not take it correctly the first time.
But if you're shooting JPG you ARE "touching up" every shot; you are just letting the camera do it for you automatically and behind the scenes. How do you feel about correcting barrel and pincushion distortion? Because that's mainly what this update is about...

I'm wondering if this update will add data to the EXIF that Adobe Camera Raw uses to auto-correct distortion using Lens Profiles? Because that would be totally sweet...

But if you're shooting JPG you ARE "touching up" every shot; you are just letting the camera do it for you automatically and behind the scenes. How do you feel about correcting barrel and pincushion distortion? Because that's mainly what this update is about...

I'm wondering if this update will add data to the EXIF that Adobe Camera Raw uses to auto-correct distortion using Lens Profiles? Because that would be totally sweet...

Fish is right. Every picture is touched up. If you really want to not touch up your picture then you need to shoot Raw and not do any correction and just go to jpeg from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

daveg

Hi Geoff,

I'm new here and don't want to upset anyone, but the Distortion Control is applied to both RAW and JPEG in camera.

It is only applied in PP if you are a CNX2 user where it shows up in the Camera and Lens Corrections Panel as "Auto Distortion = Automatic".

If you are not using CNX2 then you might as well leave it OFF in-camera.

DG