Has anyone moved from a d7000 to a d700

Davidm

Hi there. I have a d7000 but have never been happy with the sharpness of the images. I have fine tuned my lenses and found the camera to be back focusing requiring full adjustment on my 50mm prime.

Rather than keep going With the d7000 i am tempted to sell and buy a d700 following all the reviews I have read about good autofocus etc

Can anyone share their experiences with me regarding a move from the d7000 to the d700

Thanks

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The D700 wins, but I still kept my 7000 for vacations and cycling pics. But the 700 produces very fine images, I'll repeat, very fine images. And in low light… well the D700 is amazing.

jwstl

Maybe you should send your 7000 to Nikon for focus adjustments. I remember hearing about focus issues with the 7000 back when it was released.

Epoc

I have both. The D700 is the better camera especially in low light. Sharpness there's not much in it. Agree, you should send it in for calibration.

johncook

I had a D7000 for about 18 months and loved it to bits, great camera, never had any focus issues with it.

I shoot a lot indoors so wanted an FX camera for the better ISO performance, and I've been blown away by the D700, had it about 9 months now.

In low light, pushing the ISO up its amazing. The D7000 just cant live with it.

In good light, I still prefer the D700, I just think the images look better, but then again, I'm using better glass because I have FX.

I did use the Nikon 50mm 1.4G on both cameras in low and normal light levels so can give a judgement on how the camera's stack up against each other with the same lens. I prefer the D700 images, they just seem cleaner.

I agree with the others, maybe send the camera back to get the focusing issue corrected and then decide if its good enough for your photography needs.

Once you open the door to FX, if you're like me, you will spend more money on lenses! you wont regret it tho.

singlerosa_RIP

Two thoughts on this: 1) better glass can give you better shots on your D7K (or any body). My pics got an order of magnitude better when I started using 2.8 zooms. 2) you might consider the D600 instead of the D700 if you're going to keep the 7000. Controls are almost identical. Having both FX and DX can give you more flexibility with your lenses (especially the 70-300). And it never hurts to have a backup camera.

Good luck

efortysixm

Hi there. I have a d7000 but have never been happy with the sharpness of the images. I have fine tuned my lenses and found the camera to be back focusing requiring full adjustment on my 50mm prime.

Rather than keep going With the d7000 i am tempted to sell and buy a d700 following all the reviews I have read about good autofocus etc

Can anyone share their experiences with me regarding a move from the d7000 to the d700

Thanks

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey David!

I want to start out by saying I am no photography genius or professional photographer but I'd be more than happy to offer my opinion.

The D7000 was my first dSLR and I used it very lightly for three years and definitely did not utilize the camera to its maximum capability. I did however jump from a D700 just recently and can say that from my novice point of view the pictures are a lot more sharp and the clarity is great!

As I prefer loads of details myself, I'll give you my point of view on certain things I noticed when I transitioned from the D7000 to the D700

-D700 body is much heavier than D7000; the weight is noticeably different(this is to be expected for a FX body).
-D700 body doesn't have certain functions that are great on the D7000; such as U1 and U2 modes.
-D700 D-Pad and other buttons are a little "loose" (in a tactile sense) when compared to the responsiveness of the D7000.
-D700 rubber cover that protects the HDMI/Video Out/USB/DC ports is also a little flimsy and does not have a secure "snap feeling" like the D7000 has.

These are my major gripes with the D700 but they are very modest issues when looking at the D700 as a FX body camera. Auto Focus, Low Light Capability and many other things are the great qualities of the camera. Again these are just my experiences from transitioning from the D7000 to D7000. The issues I've stated above may not pertain to other D700s or any one else.

With that being said...eBay seems to have some good D700s for sale with low shutter actuations. I say if you find a one in good shape take the plunge! You could probably sell your D7000 and cover half the costs for a "new" used D700.

Well that's just my two cents. Good Luck!

Sener

​I have too. I had the D7000 for 9 months after using the beloved K5 from Pentax.

I used the camera with Sigma 30mm and Nikon 85mm 1.8 lenses. As far as sharpness, colors and AF, the D7000 was a killer for me. The colors seemed a little washed off after coming from Pentax, you can get stumping colors with Pentax RAW's if you know your way around PP. Well it was a learning process and I learned to get very nice, if not stumping, colors with the D7000 too. With Nikon you just have to PP a little finely to get very good colors. I didn't like the SOOC colors in D7000.

The want for the D700 was purely due to 2 reasons; shallower DOF and a more rugged body. The D7000 felt a little flimsy in my hand, and the grip was a little too much thin for my taste. The camera was like a killer technology wrapped in a flimsy shell. It just did not make you feel the sturdiness of a K5.

So I made the jump to the D700. At first it was not a lot of difference. You need to learn your way around the D700 too. The differences were; you could feel that you took a step back in terms of technology. Jpegs of the D700 never really amazed me. But I generally shoot RAW so that was not an issue. The WB seemed a tad on the cold-blue side too. But that was also easy to compensate, so no worries there either. The shutter is much louder compared to the dampened and fast D7000 shutter sound, which I enjoyed very much. Shutter sound can be overlooked too, but it is nice to know that you can reduce that sound even more in times of need, not to startle people, etc. Comes good in street candids. But the D700 shutter sound is attractive in its own way.

As to the positive sides of the jump, yes there are killer ones. Firstly, the AF system is way more accurate and comfortable to use. Crosstype sensors of the D7000 were doing a fine job for me, I didn't have any of the D7000 AF problems largely mentioned in the past and I was happy with them in lowlight shooting too. I could live with the little hunting the camera made, but I am fairly good at MF too, so D7000 AF was not a dealbreaker for me. It is worth noting that I got great lowlight AF results with the Sigma 30mm. But the D700 has an AF system that just does its job wherever you point the camera. It was much more decisive when pulling focus to low contrast areas and in lowlight, rarely hunted (i.e. with an 50mm 1.8 D). It was more enjoyable to use D lenses since the camera motor has a higher torque. While not instantaneous, the D lenses focused very quickly and accurately too.

As to metering, the D700 is much better too. The D7000 had a tendency to overexpose when there were skin tones in the scene, I read it in a review and experienced in first hand too. Also it tended to overexpose a little when there were pronounced shadow areas in the image too, although not in a way that may lead to unwanted white clipping in the D90. The D7000 used the logic of ETTR I guess. But I did not get along with those features well since I could always correct shadows or skin tones in PP. The D700 always finds the balance in such situations. It just correctly exposes. I do not remember using any constant EV compensation on D700 any time.

I was able to get smoother colors as well. In PP it seemed like the images had richer colors and color transitions. Coupled with the magical "pop" the images had, it was a very nice experience to take photos with and process RAWs of the D700. The images seemed a bit more 3d. You can get it with the D7000 too but it is easier with the D700.

With all that said, I don't know it was a problem with my D700 sensor or my lenses, but I found the shadow noise a little harsher than the D7000 and K5 raws. I was comfortably lifting shadows and exposure in those cameras with very little loss, especially in the K5, but the D700 shadows seemed a little more fragile. I even saw shadow banding at times. I don't know what to attribute this situation to. Maybe it was my lenses' inability to gather much detail. I could not buy high-end lenses for my D700 since I had to sell it after 4 months due to financial difficulties.

Other things that changed with the D700 were;

LV use. The D700 did not provide a smooth LV use, it was laggy and not practical when you zoomed in (for macro, precise focusing, etc). If you use LV much, that may result in loss of practicality. That's the result of historical technology.

Image playback. You have the option of one-touch 100% zoom in the D700 at the selected AF point. Which comes in handy in checking sharpness of a shot you just took.

The ability to use wider FOV with shallower DOF. It's very enjoyable and what the FF brings to you. I also used a couple of legacy MF lenses with m42 adapters, which lenses were too long on the D7000.

Bigger viewfinder. I also liked the D7000 VF but once you get used to the gigantic one in D700, it's hard to like DX viewfinders any more. :)

CF memory cards. I could easily take my SD and put it to the laptop's slot, but in the D700 I had to usb-connect it to the PC. Not a big difficulty though.

JPEGs. You could set the ADL to High or Extreme on the D7000 and get very nice jpegs with very wide DR in the D7000. You could get a nice blue sky in a sunny day in harsh light. That was just a magic of the advanced technology and the very good Exmor sensor. It came in handy in situations when I didn't want to PP or didn't have time to. The same thing you cannot get in the D700. You get noisy jpegs.

I am now also condiering to regather my equipment. I am longing for my D700, but the latest DX cameras, namely the K5lls and the D7100 are tempting too. The D700 was just too large and heavy with good FX lenses, and you can't slap a 85mm on it and go candid in street shooting, mainly because of the wider FOV and louder shutter. But once you taste FX it is hard to go back and I think I will resume my photography with D700 anyway.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I don't have direct experience of both cameras, however I think it depends what you shoot. If you crop a lot or like to fill the frame on the 7000 you are going to struggle to do the same with the same focal length lenses on the D700. Given that you start off with less pixels on the 700 anyway you could have an issue. If you tend to shoot landscape and portraits it's probably not too difficult to fill the frame with either camera so no problem and you get to enjoy the other benefits of an FX D700.

littleoldman

I moved from a D700 to a D7000. My nephew then came along and borrowed the D7000 almost a year ago, So i stepped over to the D7100. I still use the D700 when shooting the kids and family.