An Introduction to the Dark room....

JasmineSumeray

Recently I have used the Dark room for the very first time.
To me, the dark room shows a wonderful type of photography that so many people have forgotten about. The idea of developing, washing and fixing your own negatives and prints seems to not be an idea that people generally want to take up, especially with the influx of digital photography and the large numbers of tourist like photographers.
I have to say though, despite my enthusiasm I still couldn't get it right for my first time. I managed to develop the Negatives well but when it came to the prints...
I did a contact sheet of photos from a film straight from my minolta. That bit went perfectly. I then had 3 more shots that I wanted to do in contact sheet form so I sliced a bit of paper (all under red light of course) and set about doing that one too. My exposure time of 11 seconds was perfect for all of my contact sheets but, being me I left the corner of my original contact sheet in the corner where the light hit... What can i say? I didn't see it!
I developed it crossing my fingers that there may be some trace of an image. alas! no image just a large black block in the middle of my otherwise perfectly developed and fixed print. Deary me.
Hopefully my experiences in the Dark room will be more successful next time - I hope that you too can go and give it a go instead of whipping along to boots to develop any of your old films.​

Ruidoso Bill

I loved the darkroom, we even would get 35 mm movie film in large rolls, use a can openner and pop open our used 35 mm cans, wind as much in there as possible, sometimes we'd get 38 or 39 on a roll. There was an acid I would use to step up the speed of tri-X combined with really long developing times, think I had that up to 6400 asa at one point, yea I was trying to obtain large grain and did. Q-tips with bleach to take out power lines etc on wet prints. Sigh, I remember it well from the late 60's, as other have said including the smells..

Last edited: