Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF

Smittler

Just thought id share this with you guys, a couple of weeks ago i went and splashed the cash on a lens that was made in 1986, its old, it looks ugly, but in my opinion its a fantastic lens. I picked it up for next to nothing, £49 from ffordes, and despite having to manual focus on my d5100, i really love using it. Its a tiny lens, yet it weighs the same as my camera body and kit lens together. It just feels right. The only downside is that 50mm is a bit too long for me, but at 49 pounds its a very welcome addition to my little collection.

Would be great to hear of anyone elses experience with this lens. Take a look at some of my first pics with the lens.

image by smittler86, on Flickr

Bill16

I have several older lenses and so far I'm really liking them! My favorite one at this time is my 105mm listed in my signature. I'm still waiting to receive my 200mm and my 300mm. The 200mm is pretty much the same age my 105mm is. I'm not sure when my 50mm was made but it is an older lens too. :)

Smittler

Ive been thinking about an old 300 or 400mm, i dont have thousands to blow away on a new 400mm, but the old manual focus would be in my range, but i imagine focusing manually to shoot birds would be nigh on impossible with only two hands

Bill16

I haven't taken any photos of birds other than statues, so I can't say from personal experience. But I'm pretty sure there were photos taken of birds before the invention of auto focus. Lol :) But I don't think it would be easy to get great shots. I'd set the shutter speed to very fast and set the lighting to compensate for the shutter speed. Then I would just concentrate on the focus as I find my shots. Also I would hold the button down getting several shots while doing my best to keep the bird in focus. :)
Sorry for my lack of technical words fitting what I'm trying to describe. But I'm a newbie and haven't yet memorised the proper terminology yet. :D
Ive been thinking about an old 300 or 400mm, i dont have thousands to blow away on a new 400mm, but the old manual focus would be in my range, but i imagine focusing manually to shoot birds would be nigh on impossible with only two hands