I did it...now help!

jesshopes

I bought the D7100 today! I brought it home and I've already tried it in a variety of settings. The promises of good performance in low light were fulfilled. I can absolutely see that it is going to be great for that. I got a few images that were fantastic...as sharp as I could hope for. I went outside this evening with one of my daughters, though, and the images were less than I had hoped for. I feel like maybe I am missing something with the autofocus.

I'm going to try and attach two images. One is inside my sunroom...it's super close and the clarity is fantastic. The second is outside around 7:30 pm. It's lacking in clarity, especially around her face. Most of the images I took outside were like this. I fiddled with the settings quite a bit. 1.jpg
DSC_0241.jpg

Any advice on how I can fix a clarity problem? I could post several pictures like the bottom one. Close to good...but not quite...

Attachments

• DSC_0306.jpg
    DSC_0306.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 209

AC016

What do you mean when you say, "clarity"? Do you want it more sharp?, are the colors to light?, what? You could perhaps boost the saturation a bit or even use Vivid. Perhaps set your EV to -0.3 to darken things a tad......

jwstl

The contrast is better in the first image. The 2 taken outdoors are very flat and could use a sharpness and contrast increase. What software do you use for post processing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jesshopes

I didn't post process the 2nd and 3rd images. I wanted you all to see them SOOC. I was shooting in JPEG Fine. I agree that the image above looks good but when you zoom in didn't you think her face was "soft". I feel like the images were lacking in sharpness...but it was more than that. Almost like the saturation wasn't there...but mostly on her face. It was odd, really. But it was consistent in most of the pictures that I took. I felt like I was focusing on her face...but that is where the least amount of detail was.

I would love to post the exif data. I will have to look through old posts to see how. I thought it would come with the image when I uploaded it. Sorry...I stink at this. And my computer is not cooperating with me tonight.

Bill16

My guess is it's the lighting, and post processing can compensate quite a bit. But I'm just a newbie, so this is just a "guess". Lol :D

I didn't post process the 2nd and 3rd images. I wanted you all to see them SOOC. I was shooting in JPEG Fine. I agree that the image above looks good but when you zoom in didn't you think her face was "soft". I feel like the images were lacking in sharpness...but it was more than that. Almost like the saturation wasn't there...but mostly on her face. It was odd, really. But it was consistent in most of the pictures that I took. I felt like I was focusing on her face...but that is where the least amount of detail was.

I would love to post the exif data. I will have to look through old posts to see how. I thought it would come with the image when I uploaded it. Sorry...I stink at this. And my computer is not cooperating with me tonight.

Make sure that when you resize it that it is no larger than 1000ps on the long side. The one you loaded was 1024. I know it is a small difference but for some reason the EXIF data is lost when it is bigger than 1000ps on the long side.

Not sure about the D7100 but the D3100 and the D5100 have sharpness settings in the camera that really help when you are shooting JPEG.

Someone recently posted the way to do this and it should also be in your MANUAL

http://nikonites.com/d7100/13486-d7100-optimal-menu-settings.html#post148951

Read and follow these directions and reshoot. You will be surprised.

jesshopes

I shot these outdoor images in a setting that I use often...and with my D80 I know I could have gotten great images. That's why I came here to seek your input. I feel like I understand the setting...the lighting...the background well enough to get good images. The new factor is the D7100. I even used my favorite lens.

jwstl

Are you saying you did process the first image? I don't shoot jpeg so I don't know the default settings but the images need some sharpening and contrast. Also, the lighting on the outdoor shots is flat, lacking contrast. Bouncing some light back on the face would help too.
Which lens did you use? Was it the same lens on all 3 shots?

FastGlass

Its the light. The outside shot is in shade so the light is wraping around her giving her less contrasting light than the sunroom shot. Use fill in these situations ans see how they look.

jesshopes

Are you saying you did process the first image? I don't shoot jpeg so I don't know the default settings but the images need some sharpening and contrast. Also, the lighting on the outdoor shots is flat, lacking contrast. Bouncing some light back on the face would help too.
Which lens did you use? Was it the same lens on all 3 shots?

I processed the first image...but barely.

I appreciate what you are saying about the light. My problem is that I shoot in this exact location in these lighting situations several times a week and with my D80 I get better images. This was a fast "session" with not a ton of thought put behind it (I'm really just trying to practice with this new camera)...but I am confident that in the same situation with my D80 I would've gotten better results.

So...all things the same but the camera body I feel like i am missing some nuance of the D7100. Maybe I'm wrong.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think your outside images (second one specially) are a little over exposed and the colour temperature is wrong. But all could be taken care of with a little post processing.

Here's what I did with the picture you posted:

DSC_0241 copy.jpg

pedroj

I shot these outdoor images in a setting that I use often...and with my D80 I know I could have gotten great images. That's why I came here to seek your input. I feel like I understand the setting...the lighting...the background well enough to get good images. The new factor is the D7100. I even used my favorite lens.

What was the Lens, Aperture and Shutter speed and other settings

Billy Y.

I'm just going to throw this out there, because to me it looks like maybe you need to do an AF fine tune. It kind of looks like the lens is back focusing a bit, even on that up close shot, I could be wrong though but you can test it pretty easily. I will see if I can find a video that quickly explains it - I usually just use a ruler.

wud

I bought the D7100 today! I brought it home and I've already tried it in a variety of settings. The promises of good performance in low light were fulfilled. I can absolutely see that it is going to be great for that. I got a few images that were fantastic...as sharp as I could hope for. I went outside this evening with one of my daughters, though, and the images were less than I had hoped for. I feel like maybe I am missing something with the autofocus.

I'm going to try and attach two images. One is inside my sunroom...it's super close and the clarity is fantastic. The second is outside around 7:30 pm. It's lacking in clarity, especially around her face. Most of the images I took outside were like this. I fiddled with the settings quite a bit.View attachment 44746
View attachment 44750

Any advice on how I can fix a clarity problem? I could post several pictures like the bottom one. Close to good...but not quite...

I also thought about the focus being just a little bit behind where it should be, but cant say if its you or the lens. Which focus point/s are you using?

About exif data, on my computer I can just right-click and chose info, then it shows (amongst other informations).