Is your shutter loud?

lovinglynam

I just got this camera and there is a lot of shutter noise, at least I think so anyway. I have found a quiet shutter option, but I really can't tell a difference. Anyone know how to solve this? It is the Nikon 3200 with stock lens AF-s 18-55

Last edited:
Last edited:

piperbarb

Yes, mine is loud, also. My D3000 is way noisier than my D7000. The only camera I ever used that was really almost silent was my father's Leica M3. You get used to it after a while. :)

lovinglynam

I have always been a canon girl, and this is my 1st Nikon. I was going to use it as a 2nd camera at weddings, but it is def too loud for that. Looks like I will be returning it :(

piperbarb

Any SLR, D or not, will be somewhat noisy. It's what I call the mirror flap up. I also think it is not as noisy as we all think it is because we are very conscious of the noise.

lovinglynam

Well, when I first started playing around with it tonight, my husband was sitting about 20 ft away from me and even commented on the noise...so, I dunno.

FastGlass

Depends on what you're comparing it to. My D90 is louder than my wifes P/S. But my D3s is louder than my D90. Quite a bit actually. When I received the camera I thought holy *^#@ thats loud. But later I learned it's normal. In fact when i'm using it to shoot my boys at certain events and other parents are using their pocket cameras they look as soon as I start firing away. Kinda funny.

Bill16

Why not use a quieter camera during vows and such, then the Nikon during cake cutting and reception. Then you'll get a better idea of how others react and you may have your answer. :) In the old days the noise of a camera clicking was just part being a pro photographed occasion. :) just a thought from a newbie in photography :D
The pics are looking good. Just really worried about using it at a wedding.

Bill16

Hey maybe it's just giving a musician somewhere out there inspiration for a new song. Lol :D

Is your shutter loud, does it draw a crowd
Does it make your ears bleed, is it worth it to succeed
Does it drive you crazy, does it turn your photo hazy
Is your shutter loud

Lol :D

Dave_W

The Dude
Nikon's are well known for their loud shutters, especially compared to Canon cameras. In fact, I think my D800 is one of the loudest of them all.

Deezey

Just imagine every click as the sound of a coin falling into your piggy bank.

And if it annoys anyone...do what my buddy does. Just let them know each click is a memory you won't let them forget.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

ladytonya

I have a 3100 and noticed that it was a little noisy when taking pictures a Mass a few weeks ago. I just put it in child mode and it lessened the noise considerably. Of course that turns off the flash as well as lessening the other sounds so if you need the flash hat might work. Even with the noise, I hunk that I was the only one that noticed it, it definitely wasn't obstructive and I was even shooting during the Eucharistic Prayer and the consecration. Probably not liturgically correct but oh we'll, I got some great shots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lovinglynam

Ok, so all of you Nikon owners, I uploaded this video. Take a listen and tell me if it sounds normal for this camera. The camera was 2 arms lengths away from the phone when I took the video, with the phone facing away from the phone. Granted, there was nothing else on in the room. Thoughts?

AC016

My thoughts are that you are thinking about this to much. May I ask why it bothers you so much? If you want a really quiet camera, you can splurge on a Leica. Just my opinion, but I think people should worry more about improving their photography, rather than how loud their camera shutter may be :)
FYI: if you are shooting in LV, the shutter noise will be more pronounced.

ladytonya

I don't see the problem, it's not loud at all to me. Heck, my pictures during Mass were probably louder than that! I wouldn't worry about it. Agree with the above poster, you might just be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piperbarb

It's no louder than my D3000. I wouldn't worry about it.

​Look at it this way, if you were still using film, not only would you have that wonderful mirror flap-up sound but you'd also have the bzzzzzz of the motor drive. :)