Motorcycle Sign

Rick M

Very beautiful sign and shot.

The background is absolutely fantastic, which begs the question of what the Exif data is for reference.

The bell shaped object has me curious as to what it is and I can't decide if it is supporting the image or distracting from it. That object, in my opinion, has a lot of influence in the composition. It does sort of anchor the current composition as it offsets the sign being high in the frame, but I can't help thinking it may be better off without it and the sign lower in the frame. That may not have been possible looking at the angles needed to frame the sign in the background along with the vines.

​The grapevines are a very nice secondary subject and add much to the beauty of the scene. Excellent lighting and technical execution.

Thanks for sharing! (and please share the Exif data also)

Kodiak

Thanks for your comments Rick,

The bell shaped object is a helmet (type military WWII, Austria). The owner of the place
insisted to have his helmet in the shot. I didn't mind since many HD riders are using this
type of helmet. Viewers accustomed to the HD motorcycles scene will recognize this
immediately.

Here is the info you required:

D3X • ISO 100 • 70-200 ƒ2,8 @ ƒ2,8/180 mm • 1/80s.

Have a good day…

Rick M

Thanks! I was thinking helmet, but it appeared to be smaller, it's inclusion makes sense now. Thank you also for the Exif data, this helps us in the learning process.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Thanks for your comments Rick,

The bell shaped object is a helmet (type military WWII, Austria). The owner of the place
insisted to have his helmet in the shot. I didn't mind since many HD riders are using this
type of helmet. Viewers accustomed to the HD motorcycles scene will recognize this
immediately.

Here is the info you required:

D3X • ISO 100 • 70-200 ƒ2,8 @ ƒ2,8/180 mm • 1/80s.

Have a good day…

Very nice, Kodiak. I really like the composition and very effective. I'm not a motorcycle afficianado, but like the sign and your capture of it.

carguy

Overall I really like the shot. Maybe an issue with my monitor, but there could be more light on teh sign and helmet from my view.

Kodiak

Very nice, Kodiak. I really like the composition and very effective. I'm not a motorcycle afficianado, but like the sign and your capture of it.

Salut Hélène,

There is something nostalgic about these old design but I believe in their future!

Kodiak

Overall I really like the shot. Maybe an issue with my monitor, but there could be more light on the sign and helmet from my view.

Hi Joe,

This is what is called "artistic intent", the privilege to interpret light in a way that
will support the subject or any other way the author will see fit.

In this case, the "old style" sign has some character by it's image, and nostalgia
by the way it was crafted. A brighter rendition would have presented it as any
document of an object. Many made the suggestion to increase the nostalgia
factor, something like this:

View attachment 44720

My intent, however, was to show it the way this mean, nasty, ugly friend of mine
and owner of the "Biker's Café" has presented it to his visitors. To me, the beauty
is all there!

I know, I know, I know.… the peace and quiet of the scene is not real nostalgia
when 20, 30, 50 mean and nasty bikers arrive with their darn noisy machines
all at the same time to take a break and a beer. Or two…

Have a good time!

Last edited:

Michael J.

I like the composition of the photo - Even it looks like from yesterday (nostalgic) the green plant rank shows there is a now and here as well as a future and life goes on.