Wow, I get it..

eidian

So I got an SB-400 based on Ken Rockwell's review of the flash and I was satisfied with it even though I knew that it would have it's limitations. After a owning it a couple of weeks I finally got to "really" test it last night at a family party last night. The results were mixed and I definitely could see that it I could've used more power. Well, just for yucks-and-giggles I started taking pics with my niece's camera (funded by her parents), a Canon Mark V DII I believe it is with a 70-200 lens (IIRC) and some crazy-ass big looking flash on it (she said that it cost like $500...but she wasn't sure because it was charged on my brother-in-law's credit card...lucky him). Anyway, I couldn't believe the the pics that this camera took! Every picture had perfect lighting. Close, medium and especially pics taken from afar. My jaw literally dropped.

You have to understand that my last SLR was a Canon AE-1 with 70-210 zoom and a National PE-250S flash. That camera hasn't seen daylight in over eight years and quite honestly, I really didn't use it much over the past thirty years that I've owned it. But I know enough to take competent pictures. So you can imagine my amazement when I looked at the LCD screen on the Canon flash. The fricken flash knew what size lens was on the camera, what f-stop the lens was set at and showed the angle of bounce (along with a bunch of other stuff that I couldn't decipher). That's when I decided that I really need an SB-600 for my camera (based on a Ken Rockwell review, of course).

So I went to a very small camera show that was happening this morning fifteen minutes away from home and told myself that if I could find a used SB-600 for $200 (based on what I've seen on eBay) I'd grab it. Well, much to my chagrin, no one seems to carry that discontinued flash. But I did see a few SB-800's that I knew absolutely nothing about. I found one for $220 in semi-rough shape cosmetically but fully functional and the LCD screen wasn't scratched so I decided to pull the trigger.

Let me tell you, I've seen the light (so to speak)...I popped that flash on and yup...it knew the size of the lens, the f-stop and the angle that the flash was tilted at. I've taken like three-dozen shots with it around the house and I've got to tell you, there is no such thing as too much power. I don't even know how to use the flash competently yet but every pic that I took was perfect for my goals. Oh, and the pan feature is killer...it might've just made my Stroboframe obsolete unless I have to use the SB-0400 as a back up.

So yeah, I get it...don't just buy what you think you can get by with--get what you think is more than what you need.

Last edited:
I had looked at the SB-400 but decided on the SB-700 instead and I am SO VERY HAPPY with it. I used it outdoors this weekend for the first time and was pretty happy with the results.

dsc_5455.jpg

eidian

Congrats! Great story :) I've looked at that flash too.

Thanks! I've been reading up on this flash and it looks like this is a good option if price is a factor when considering the SB-910. I think that I'm going get another SB-800 in the next few weeks so that I can start fooling around with multiple flashes.

eidian

That looks really good!

Agreed! This photo looks professional to me. I hope that I can yield the same results when I'm at Disneyland; I don't know if I'm going to walk around with the camera around my neck with the flash attached (I pull the camera out of the sling pack when I shot on-the-go), but the flash would definitely help during the parades.

eidian

I also looked at the SB400, but my wife had other ideas and got me the SB700.

I think that you're going to be very happy with the SB-700. It's amazing the opportunities a good flash can offer. The 400 is my back-up flash now, it's a good flash--it just doesn't quite enough power.

Congrats on the new cool flash! That is another thing on my list of things I need to eventually. Lol :)

I totally recommend getting a good flash, my first flash was an SB-50DX and the second was the SB-400. That's $150 that I could've put towards the SB-800. I kept thinking that I could "get by" with the first two flashes but in the matter of only two months, I realized that I had to go with a new/more powerful flash.

Yea I just purchased the SB-700, but hadn't had a change to use it yet.Can't wait to see some results.

You're going to be happy with the results, post some pics when you use it!