I need help with a decision about my nikon D3200 lens, please help!

Sandra Mihai

Ok, so I have a Nikon D3200 (18-55mm), and I decided to buy new lens , however I don't know that much about cameras, as i'm a beginner , i was wondering if the 70-300mm lens would fit my camera, please help, i need to decide asap !!!Thank you!

Horoscope Fish

Ok, so I have a Nikon D3200 (18-55mm), and I decided to buy new lens , however I don't know that much about cameras, as i'm a beginner , i was wondering if the 70-300mm lens would fit my camera, please help, i need to decide asap !!!Thank you!
Yes, the Nikon 70-300mm will fit your D3200. Your camera uses Nikon's "F" style bayonet mount, for future reference.

​Oh, and the 70-300mm is an excellent lens as well.

Skytalker

I would suggest 35mm F/1.8. With this one you could take photos indoor (35mm) in low light condition (f/1.8).
Later on, depending on what you shoot, you will decide.

WayneF

D3200 manual page 132 (English version) with heading Compatible Lenses
shows that the D3200 always needs an AF-S lens (for AF to work).

The Nikon 70-300mm is AF-S
Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED 2161 B&H

It says SWM down lower (Silent Wave Motor), which is AF-S, same thing.

Kodiak

Hello Sandra,

This equation is a tricky one. In any case, my recommendation is based on limited
budget and desired unlimited experience.

If, as declared in your preamble, you own the 18-55mm, then the next step would
consider enlarging your experience in either direction: wider lenses or telephoto lenses.

This is how complicated your options are: going wider or further! Seen this way, you
don't need help really… Look around, this forum has plenty of pictures and you will find
what attracts you the most: going wider or further!

Sandra, whichever, come back with some cool takes you will have done exploring this
new experience…

Have a good time!

nickt

What are you looking for your new lens to do for you? Since you you say you are new, I'm just making sure that you are not looking for an everyday lens with some more reach to REPLACE your current lens. With the 70-300, you would still want to keep your 18-55 lens handy for scenery and indoor family type shots. The lens you mention is great, but it is a fairly good size and has some weight to it. I don't own it, but I have a Tamron 70-300 which is of similar size. Good quality and a bit cheaper. Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Telephoto Zoom

Nothing wrong with your choice, it is a very nice lens. Just make sure it is the right lens for what you want to do.

First off Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

The first question should be ...What type of photography do you want to do? This will help you make a decision. Second question is what is your budget. A good second lens is the

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED at $249.95

Vs the

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED at $589.95

Do you need the extra 100mm?

Pretzel

I'm a HUGE fan of the 70-300 AF-S VR lens, and you can get a factory refurb for around $350 to save some green.

Advantages over the 55-200 or 55-300 for the extra cash = 100mm of extra zoom (obvious), instant manual focus override, internal focus so you don't have to worry so much about polarizing filters, etc, and a bit faster focus speeds. Plus, if you ever upgrade to a full frame camera, it will make the transition.

If you're thinking more portrait than zoom, though, the 50mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens, from what I hear. ;)

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! I see you already got some great advice and choices to check into! Lol :)
I'm looking forward to hearing what you chose to get. :D