Hanging flower

CatcwlD5100

DSC_0359.jpg

Kodiak

Hello there,

What I dig is the eye catching colour composition! The picture composition is not so
good though…

Your title says: "Hanging flower" …and that should be it! The path, which is occupying
20-25 % of the picture, is not supporting your subject but distracting from it. An option
could have been a hand lowering the branch so that the flower would use the path as
neutral background specially with the presence of shadow areas. The focus seems off.

If the couple was together when the shot was taken and the guy took it, I am happy to
see that I am not the only grown man to be moved by flowers. One would think a girl
would be more sensible to such motives.

Recommandation: Should you pass the same way, and the scene is about the same, try
to redo it …together, of course! Oh yeah… and please post the result!

Have a good day…

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Sorry I am still used to this I have not taken any photos in a while. I'm still getting used to the exif data and how to get it. :(

I understand. If you just post your basic settings and what you intended with your capture, it makes the critique much more relevant for you.

CatcwlD5100

Thankyou for your help with that, basically I am learning what my camera can do, I have only had my camera a couple of months so myself and my partner went for a walk and I was practising. I just wanted some guidence if the photo is okay. I purposley made the bokeh as that it what I really love in photos. I am not entirely sure what Kodiak is saying, to me my title fits perfectly because it is what it is.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Thankyou for your help with that, basically I am learning what my camera can do, I have only had my camera a couple of months so myself and my partner went for a walk and I was practising. I just wanted some guidence if the photo is okay. I purposley made the bokeh as that it what I really love in photos. I am not entirely sure what Kodiak is saying, to me my title fits perfectly because it is what it is.

The photo is definitely OK. So according to your statement, the background bokeh is an important part of the photo, and it is lovely, as is the lighting on the leaves. So, the path and trees are an important part of the composition. In that case, if you have an opportunity to shoot this again, with the same composition, try to get more of the backlit leaves in the photo and at an angle that maybe comes from the lower right corner at an angle. You were almost there. You just need to reframe so that there is more emphasis on the subject, the flower.

Also, your colors need to be a little more vibrant, IMHO.

Keep shooting . . . this is a very nice photo, and this post shows me that you did indeed have an artistic intent. If you can verbalize this to yourself before you press the shutter, you will end up with a photo that has impact instead of being just ok.

Keep learning more about the possibilities of your camera, have fun and welcome to the forum.

Kodiak

What I said was as personal an opinion as the picture is to you! You present a picture
for evaluation and critique. I tried to respond to the different elements of the shot,
assessing what are, in my opinion, the good aspect and the no so good in what I see.

In this, I put all my knowledge and experience at cooking an answer that will consider
the fact that you are not yet an advanced shooter but nevertheless taking the time to
share and, may be, looking for advice.

I did my best at attracting your attention to details that would improve your shot and not
to submerge you with thecnicals that would bore you to death and would be out of scope
in anyway!

To clarify my previous post:
The subject, the hanging flower, is rich in tones and details. Having a rather neutral back-
ground will bring up these details and tones. As far as the focusing goes, this has nothing
to do with your bokeh strategy but the fact that your flower is big and thus requires a
death of field that is not reflected in your shot.

Conclusion.
In no way should you ever consider any critique and/or evaluation for more than what it is:
— someone else's personal view on your very personal photograph. Some more articulated
than others! Here, even beginners have a chance to express their opinions …everybody has!
You take what you like and leave the rest without any fear of offence or disrespect.

We all share the same passion…

Respectfully,

CatcwlD5100

Thankyou very much for the great advice, I am taking it all on board, and I really appreciate it. If it is any consolation I was not shooting in RAW it was JPEG so many that is why it is not so good on that side of things. I am awaiting to start photography classes and purchase better lenses :)

Rick M

Hello, CatcwlD5100! and welcome to the site!

From a critique perspective I'd mimic the opinions of both Helene and Kodiak. The image has potential, both in composition and post processing as discussed by the other members.

Helene's comment in regards to intent and Exif data can be found in the critique area guidelines/rules. Knowing these items helps us render a better critique in relation to your objectives and help you learn more. For more casual posts without these items, the feedback thread is more appropriate and a great opportunity for more casual feedback. We offer these guidelines to maintain the integrity and intent of the critique section.

Our hope is members get constructive feedback (such as from Helene and Kodiak). "Nice Pic" doesn't help any of us grow, so critiques may not always be what we expect. The diversity of these opinions are of great value and help us see opportunities we may have missed.

You obviously have an eye for photography in capturing this unique scene!

Happy shooting and it's great to have you join us!