Studio photographing

wud

I have only tried photographing indoors with flash and different soft boxes 1 time, and I only helped putting it up. But I have some ideas, which would be easier to do with clean studio pictures.

Found a place I could rent for a pretty decent price, 4 hours. And a friend did say she would pay for it if I would shoot her kid, even though she knows a lot of the pictures will just be for me to learn and experiment with. (4 hours are way to much for 1 kid, so I would find 2 more + 1 hour for me to set something up + breaks).

Do you think I would be able to figure out an indoor shooting, having almost no experience at all? Okay, you cant answer this of course, lol.

I thought about calling the place and ask if they could introduce me to their gear. But dont know if that sounds to lame :uncomfortableness:

Have you tried studio pictures and how did you start??

pedroj

I bought a set of lights,Brollys,stands and back drops and had a few practices...I think if you explain the situation to them they may accommodate your wishes...

That 50mm set at F8 should be good...Keep your subject a couple of meters/yards from the back drop...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I normally shoot at f8, 1/160, ISO 100 if you want cleaner images. You'll need to experiment and do some trial shots until you get the desired output. Without the description of the wireless triggers and strobes, it is a little difficult to provide other suggestions.

Mfrankfort

Do you have any flashes you can bring? A couple flashes on TTL would be a good start... that way you wouldn't have to do much as far as setting them. If they're giving you strobes, just get there a little early, and mess around with the outputs by using the timer, and taking pictures of yourself to see how they look.. and to get used to the settings. Don't forget the laptop and tether cord. :) That way you can see your pictures on the fly so you know what to adjust.

WayneF

Do you think I would be able to figure out an indoor shooting, having almost no experience at all?

Portrait lighting is a big subject, with more to it then just setting up a light stand. It is not about the hardware, but instead is about creating the lighting. No small part is to learn to actually "see" that lighting (realize what we are looking for), to know what we are trying to do. We all have to start somewhere, but it is good to do a little preparation about the concepts first.

I would offer this, at minimum: 45 degree Portrait Lighting Setup

I think anyone shooting there would want to see the facilities BEFORE they would rent it anyway. Just go by and tell them you are considering renting their facilities but first you need to see if it meets your requirements.

wud

I normally shoot at f8, 1/160, ISO 100 if you want cleaner images. You'll need to experiment and do some trial shots until you get the desired output. Without the description of the wireless triggers and strobes, it is a little difficult to provide other suggestions.

True - Im looking at 2 places, this is one of them: Fotoudstyr i fotostudiet der er til udlejning At the bottom, you can see pictures of the gear.

I was thinking something simple, which didnt make any shadows around the kid, and then a little fun with lights coming from behind (+ in front/sides of course).

Geoffc

Sorry Wud but I think you would be mad to go to a strange studio with gear you know nothing about and expect to get the results you want on the same day. I would at least pay for some tuition in advance, but be advised this is a big subject.

I'm only saying this as I've been through a similar process and now setup a permanent home studio to practice in.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
True - Im looking at 2 places, this is one of them: Fotoudstyr i fotostudiet der er til udlejning At the bottom, you can see pictures of the gear.

I was thinking something simple, which didnt make any shadows around the kid, and then a little fun with lights coming from behind (+ in front/sides of course).

You can use reflectors to address the shadows around the neck. It looks like you are all set with lighting. Read the owner's manual ahead of time if you can to familiarize yourself with the controls and power settings.

wud

Sorry Wud but I think you would be mad to go to a strange studio with gear you know nothing about and expect to get the results you want on the same day. I would at least pay for some tuition in advance, but be advised this is a big subject.

I'm only saying this as I've been through a similar process and now setup a permanent home studio to practice in.

No worries. I havent come by ANY sort of tutoring in studio photography, but will try to search some more.

As said, I did it once, we made these pictures with a very simple setup - 2 speedlights with umbrella, placed at the sides:

whatupdogdk_9084.jpgwhatupdogdk_9066.jpgwhatupdogdk_9058.jpg