Tripods and heads

donaldjledet

I've never used a tripod before so I was thinking, for the D7100 with tele lens.
Cause of the weight of the tele or a prime long lens.
How will i know if the tripod is steady enough to hold the weight?
​Thanks

Fred Kingston

By their very nature (Tripod) they're stabile... where you'll see issues is in the weight specifications for the heads... Your camera and lens will have a combined weight... Heads almost always are designed to work within a specific weight range... Make sure the head you select accommodates that weight range...

Tripods also, to a lesser degree, specify their designed weight range... But a bigger issue is the height/extension that a tripod can expand to... I'm 6'3"... and went through a few el cheapo tripods because I ended up squatting down to see through the viewfinders... Be sure the tripod you select opens/extends high enough that you don't have to bend over to see through the viewfinder...

Mfrankfort

If you look at online stores such as Adorama or B&H, the tripods have max weight on them. Any of the higher end ones will pretty much hold anything. I know Manfroto ones are really good, but REALLY expensive. Just search around and you should find some weight limits. I have a 30$ one I got on amazon, and it works with my D600 and 70-300. lol

Bill16

I bought a slik 504QF tripod 60" with a rating for 11lbs, and so far it works good. :) I got it used for $45.00 so I guess it would be considered a cheapo. Lol :)

Photo was not made by me, but was used in the listing I bought my tripod from.
676167858_o.jpg

Last edited:

riverside

So adorama or b&h will have the extension numbers listed.
I'm just 6' so the tripod i look at should go to at least 6'
Thanks

Be cautious on tripod maximum height claims. Many are measured with the center column fully extended and that single ~1" tube a foot higher than the tripod itself greatly reduces camera stability.

crashton

I've had enough cheap tripods over the years. If I'd add up all the money wasted on them I could have easily paid for my Gitzo with RRS ball head.

There more choices of decent tripods out there now. Do your homework & you'll only need to buy once.

LouCioccio

This is one of the heads I use. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manfrotto 460MG Magnesium Camera Head and the ball head 494 heads all with the same quick release plate. so that 3 tripods and one monopod. One was from Amphoto out of RI don't think he is in that business anymore but sold Chinese knock offunder the name Dynaflo something like that, pretty well built but very heavy, the other is a Manfrotto very light and the last one was a Adorama Flashpoint but an upgraded model that had a bad rep but carbon fiber on special. I went for it cause it had levers instead of twist lock. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 460 head has 3 axis and I can mount a 80-200 lens on it very stable and drifting and its a reasonable price.

But like others said it best to see and touch; I was lucky.

​Lou Cioccio
[/FONT]

Bill16

I suppose I should get another tripod sometime, one with a ball head, since I gather they are quicker, and light to use. So it'll be one more thing to add to my NAS list, I mean my needs list! Lol :D

Dave_W

The Dude
I would suggest you pay more attention to the weight rating of the head rather than the tripod since it's the head that will be doing the heavy work. And as a second suggestion, keep an eye on Craigslist for tripods. You can score some pretty nice gear if you watch the ads closely. I picked up a Gitzo tripod in near perfect condition for 1/3 the price of a new one.

WhiteLight

My advice - don't spend less on the tripod or ball head.
Especially your ball head.

I got the Manfrotto 055xprob & 498RC2
I couldn't be happier with the tripod... it is sturdy, well made & assist in any situation at any height.

At the same time i couldn't be more disappointed with the ball head.
Mind you, it's not 'cheap' per se, but it is definitely lesser than an Arca Swiss or something like that..
The rating of the ball head is 7kgs, but trust me it starts sagging at even 2kgs..
The problem lies with the QR plate which doesn't have a proper locking system so there is a lot of play.

So choose well

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've never used a tripod before so I was thinking, for the D7100 with tele lens.
Cause of the weight of the tele or a prime long lens.
How will i know if the tripod is steady enough to hold the weight?
​Thanks

Great suggestions from everyone already. What is your budget?

@ 6ft, you would need a tripod that can extend up to approx. 60 inches or 5 ft. add 8 to 10 inches depending if you use a battery grip with your camera plus the ballhead in order to see through the camera's view finder at eye level. It is highly recommended that you do not raise the center column if the tipod has one. You want to keep the center of gravity low as much as possible. Bigger diameter tripod legs provides more stability and less vibration in most cases.

As already mentioned, the Gitzo and Really Right stuff are on the high end side for tripods, followed by Manfrotto. Induro, SLK, Bogen, and Sirui are on the more affordable tripods.

Ballheads and camera mounts should be considered carefully. I would suggest a bigger diameter ballhead since they provide a more sturdier hold and will less likely "drift" when positioned at an angle or when using a heavier equipment with your flash. Arca-type mount ballheads are the more universal quick release type mounts which are normally manufactured by Arca-swiss ballheads, RRS, Markins, and other manufacturers. Manfrotto and Gitzo has their own proprietary quick release mounts.

donaldjledet

I would suggest you pay more attention to the weight rating of the head rather than the tripod since it's the head that will be doing the heavy work. And as a second suggestion, keep an eye on Craigslist for tripods. You can score some pretty nice gear if you watch the ads closely. I picked up a Gitzo tripod in near perfect condition for 1/3 the price of a new one.
ThANKS DAVE,
DIDN'T THINK ABOUT
CRAIGSlist.
Are they like adorama or B&h?

donaldjledet

Great suggestions from everyone already. What is your budget?

@ 6ft, you would need a tripod that can extend up to approx. 60 inches or 5 ft. add 8 to 10 inches depending if you use a battery grip with your camera plus the ballhead in order to see through the camera's view finder at eye level. It is highly recommended that you do not raise the center column if the tipod has one. You want to keep the center of gravity low as much as possible. Bigger diameter tripod legs provides more stability and less vibration in most cases.

As already mentioned, the Gitzo and Really Right stuff are on the high end side for tripods, followed by Manfrotto. Induro, SLK, Bogen, and Sirui are on the more affordable tripods.

Ballheads and camera mounts should be considered carefully. I would suggest a bigger diameter ballhead since they provide a more sturdier hold and will less likely "drift" when positioned at an angle or when using a heavier equipment with your flash. Arca-type mount ballheads are the more universal quick release type mounts which are normally manufactured by Arca-swiss ballheads, RRS, Markins, and other manufacturers. Manfrotto and Gitzo has their own proprietary quick release mounts.
Budget is looking around $400.00

Also yes have the nikon battery grip.

Last edited: