Hello, from Oklahoma

tr669k

New member here. I have recently jumped back into photography for fun and thought I might settle here as my internet home. Years ago I had a Nikon D50 and really had fun with it. Out of the several thousand photos that I snapped there were several that I felt were good.

Recently I was gifted a Nikon D7100, which is a lot of camera. Not satisfied with "several" good photos, I have taken it upon myself to learn the basics of good photography. Anyway, be gentle. Im here to learn and contribute as I can.

Having worked an off schedule I was lucky enough to get the day off. So I grabbed the camera and headed down to the river. Knowing that it was mid-day, I wasn't hoping for amazing pictures. I really went with the intent of learning more about ISO, exposure compensation and white balance. I am attaching a photo that I thought would be interesting but since I was shooting up the river the lines just don't look aesthetically pleasing to me. I liked the tree, the V and thought that framing the power plant would make for a good photo. I don't think it did. Feel free to edit and I have the raw if anyone wants it.

DSC_0115.jpg

Bill16

Hi and welcome to nikonites! :) This is a great place to learn. I'm learning new stuff everyday here! Lol :D
As far as the photo goes, I think leveling the horizon would help. But there are members here can be a lot better help than I can for giving pointers. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Recently I was gifted a Nikon D7100, which is a lot of camera. Not satisfied with "several" good photos, I have taken it upon myself to learn the basics of good photography. Anyway, be gentle. Im here to learn and contribute as I can.

Having worked an off schedule I was lucky enough to get the day off. So I grabbed the camera and headed down to the river. Knowing that it was mid-day, I wasn't hoping for amazing pictures. I really went with the intent of learning more about ISO, exposure compensation and white balance. I am attaching a photo that I thought would be interesting but since I was shooting up the river the lines just don't look aesthetically pleasing to me. I liked the tree, the V and thought that framing the power plant would make for a good photo. I don't think it did. Feel free to edit and I have the raw if anyone wants it.

View attachment 44409

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Nikon . . . what a wonderful gift!

You had the right idea . . . all you need is a little post processing
Happy shooting!

powerplant.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi and welcome to nikonites! :) This is a great place to learn. I'm learning new stuff everyday here! Lol :D
As far as the photo goes, I think leveling the horizon would help. But there are members here can be a lot better help than I can for giving pointers. :)

I agree - level the horizon!

Nathan Lanni

Hello from So CA

BTW, is that a power generator plant or some kind of manufacturing plant? I swear I've seen a plant just like that here in SO CA. LOL

tr669k

Thanks everyone! Im often very selective of the forums I join but I like the feel of this one.

@teague: Yes, its a power plant. It belongs to AEP. Could be the same people own/run both.

And thanks for the edits. I would be interested in the specifics of each if thats something okay to ask.

Last edited:

ladytonya

Welcome! This is a great place. I've been here just a few short weeks and have learned a LOT!

I agree on the edits. I see edits posted but it would be nice to know what edits are added. I play around with my pics but never know what changes I need to make, haven't really developed that eye yet. Anyway, welcome to the forum! Totally jealous that you got the best as a gift. I bought my very first DSLR and it was entry level D3100, probably will be my only. Have fun with the new toy!

Thanks everyone! Im often very selective of the forums I join but I like the feel of this one.

@teague: Yes, its a power plant. It belongs to AEP. Could be the same people own/run both.

And thanks for the edits. I would be interested in the specifics of each if thats something okay to ask.

That is why we do it is so that we can help other learn hopefully. Mine I straightened it first. Then adjusted the brightness and contrast and raised the shadow level a bit and sharpened it a little more and last but not least I cropped a little off the top. Mainly just blue shy, KI left the clouds that were there because I liked the look they gave the picture.