Failed autofocus - am I missing something?

romandesign

Hi, recently I have shot about and hour of video with my 1 month old D7100 and after I got back to shooting pictures I found out that autofocus doesn't work anymore. I went through the settings, tested on three lenses (with and without internal motor) - same thing.

When I half-press shutter button, focus does not engage (illuminator does not engage too despite being set to "on"), I have a blinking "> <" in the viewfinder and if I wait a couple of seconds, lens goes to infinity and back, still no confirmed focus.

Am I missing anything, maybe I forgot some setting, or do I have a broken camera? I hope they will honor US warranty in Canada - Nikon website says they should if I have a US receipt, which I do.

I even tried to reflash recent firmware and that didn't help. I don't thing there is a full factory settings reset, is there? And of course I have checked focus switches.

Any advice?

Thanks

romandesign

Thanks, it did not help. So it's not the settings... Damn, D70, D80 and D90 have served me fine for years, and D7100 is broken after a month....

Bill16

I suppose this reset would have put every setting back to factory. Otherwise I'd check the focus mode and see what it's suppose to focus on. You know like faces and such. I don't mean the mode dial. I mean the setting in the menu.
Well maybe you can get a free fix or replacement using the warranty.

WhiteLight

Hey Roman!
Don't jump to conclusions :)

You have to check a couple of other things as well.

First check if your lens is in (M)anual or (A)utomatic
Next, just behind the lens, on the camera body you have another switch where you can choose AF (autofocus) or M (manual) focus.
This may be the culprit cos you said you tried with multiple lenses

let us know

romandesign

That's the first thing I checked. Switched it back and forth a few times, just to make sure it's not contact. Problem is the focus motor would not see to infinity and back if it was on manual... It wouldn't engage at all.

romandesign

Turns out Nikon Canada won't service camera body bought in US. Now I will have to UPS it there with a US dropbox as a return address, or pay $300 plus tax for repairs here...