Going to Alaksa - Lens Suggestions?

Lauramacky

We are going to Alaska on a cruise in a few weeks. We have some awesome excursions set up, one is a helicopter ride that takes you to two different glaciers (how awesome is that?) and the other is a 4x4 excursion, and last is a bald eagle spectacle (from what I understand) while on one of the Deadliest Catch boats. I hear they soar above the boat and people remark about how it's breathtaking.

So my dilemma is which lenses to bring. I have three but really don't want to drag all of them over there, but maybe I should. I have a 10-12mm wide angle, 18-200mm, and a 70-300mm. I've noticed when I've shot "wildlife" before, that the 300mm is never close enough. I'm always too far away, etc., and a teleconverter without a 2.8 lens is useless. So....I was thinking of picking up a 35 mm 1.8 prime lens thinking that might be a good one for landscape shots, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

Billy Y.

The 300mm F4 and 1.4TC or !.7TC are what you need. It is not useless - the D7100 can still AF very quickly even with the 1.7 and it gets you to 510mm. This was shot with that setup at about 50 feet away, he is quite a bit smaller than an eagle.

DSC_0220.jpg

If you don't want to buy then rent, Borrowlenses is great and they have 3-4 week rentals that start the day the lens is dropped off too you, its a great way to go. Looks like $200 for a 3 week rental.

Attachments

• DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Based on your description of these events it does not sound to me like you are going to have a lot of time to think ahead and set up equipment, compose your shots, switch lenses etc. *IF* that is correct, I would keep the 18-200mm mounted, carry the 70-300 and switch to it only if absolutely necessary and when time and circumstances permit it in a calm and orderly manner. Better to GET a shot at 200mm that you can zoom and crop on than to lose a shot entirely because you dropped your 70-300 while trying to switch to it on a jostling boat or cramped helo.

If you think you're going to have time ashore to shoot landscapes and wildlife and such in somewhat relaxed fashion I'd definitely bring the 70-300. I think I'd still stick to the 18-200 for most things. Sometimes it's better to ask, "How do I get the shot I want with the lens I have?" than it is to ask, "What lens do I need to get the shot that I want?".

I might consider a fast prime, like the f1.8 35mm, *if* I anticipated doing enough indoor shooting in low light to justify toting it along. Otherwise, keep to the 18-200mm.

Last edited:

Lauramacky

Wow thanks for all the info. It does seem that the 18-200mm lens is the one I should count on. I doubt I will be doing much shooting of wildlife but you never know, so I'll bring the 70-300mm. There is a possibility on our 4x4 excursion of seeing a bear since it's spawning season. I guess I'll leave the wide angle at home since no one mentioned it. I love that lens, but not sure if it would be of any use. I could sort of see a shot of the helicopter up close while i'm on the glacier with the scenery behind it, that kind of thing but how often will that happen. I'm so excited to have my new camera for this trip!

WhiteLight

I vote for 10-12mm first...
wide angle lense work just amazingly to capture landscape.
Next would be the 70-300
​have a fun trip!

Billy Y.

I'm sorry I though you were looking to purchase a new lens, I you are going to go with what you have then as whitelight and some others said I would definitely take the 10-12mm (I mean its alaska after all) and the 70-300 for those eagles. In Alaska you can often get pretty close to the wildlife so the 450mm reach of the 300 on your camera could get some impressive shots.

Patrick M

As well as a long tele or zoom, you'll probably take a great many on-board shots too ... So a nice prime lens, 35mm or 50mm to go with a flash will be most useful

Last edited: