Tragic lens story....

Nikonspy007

Hi guys I'm Nikon spy.... I was in India taking some wonderful landscape pictures by the Himalayan foothills last month. My nikon 14-24 f2.8 was pinched from my bag whilst changing lenses, by a large monkey. Devastated. Hopefully the monkey comes back and returns it to me. Currently have saved £120 - another £1200 to go.

carguy

Those thievin' critters! Sorry about the loss, at least it comes with an unusual story to tell.

Do you have a link to your images? I'd love the see the landscape :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi guys I'm Nikon spy.... I was in India taking some wonderful landscape pictures by the Himalayan foothills last month. My nikon 14-24 f2.8 was pinched from my bag whilst changing lenses, by a large monkey. Devastated. Hopefully the monkey comes back and returns it to me. Currently have saved £120 - another £1200 to go.

Hmmmm . . . . a real monkey, or are you referring to someone being a "monkey." I just did a story for my magazine about a photographer who was in India, also at the Himalayas, took some fabulous photos, and he never mentioned thieving monkeys. I hope he reads this thread.

​In any case, welcome to the forum and I'm sorry for your loss.

Nikonspy007

I think the beautiful bulb if the lens just caught its eye perhaps which made it go for it. I bet it's looking out for a d4 now. They're intelligent

ohkphoto

Snow White
I think the beautiful bulb if the lens just caught its eye perhaps which made it go for it. I bet it's looking out for a d4 now. They're intelligent

I so hope to be able to make a trip there one of these days. Where exactly were you? "Foothills of the Himalayas" is a large area . . . which camera were you using? I guess things could have been worse . . . he could have run off with your camera!

BTW, was your lens insured?

Last edited:

WhiteLight

Hmmmm . . . . a real monkey, or are you referring to someone being a "monkey." I just did a story for my magazine about a photographer who was in India, also at the Himalayas, took some fabulous photos, and he never mentioned thieving monkeys. I hope he reads this thread.

​In any case, welcome to the forum and I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you spot him here??

DSC__WLP_0002-19.jpg

Awwww.... Look at those innocent faces...
can't be them!

But you may find your monkey to be one of these :p

DSC__WLP_0001-67.jpg

These were very close to the foothills of the Himalayas BTW :)

Nikonspy007

Area is called Dehradun (my auntie lives there). Mountain range is not as great as Everest but its still nice with a good mixture of snow top and green pine hills. Great tourist spot for jeep safaris and many other things.

The kit that I took was

D7000 with battery grip
Nikon 70-200 vr2
Nikon 14-24 f2.8
Nikon 40mm macro
Sb700 flash

That's what I have ( minus the 14-24 :-( )

Wanted to finish the holy trinity with the 24-70 but now another step back. I'm an amateur so didn't have the right insurance (each item upto £500) should have checked that first !

ohkphoto

Snow White
Area is called Dehradun (my auntie lives there). Mountain range is not as great as Everest but its still nice with a good mixture of snow top and green pine hills. Great tourist spot for jeep safaris and many other things.

The kit that I took was

D7000 with battery grip
Nikon 70-200 vr2
Nikon 14-24 f2.8
Nikon 40mm macro
Sb700 flash

That's what I have ( minus the 14-24 :-( )

Wanted to finish the holy trinity with the 24-70 but now another step back. I'm an amateur so didn't have the right insurance (each item upto £500) should have checked that first !

Nice kit you took. Hopefully you managed to get some shots with that lens before it "vanished" It's not exactly a small or light lens . . . how big was the monkey? Did he take it somewhere where you could see where he put it? There was no way to retrieve it? Did you by any chance take a photo of him stealing your lens?

Animal behavior is just fascinating . . . you should write a story about this. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos and am so sorry for the "big ouch."

Nikonspy007

Amazing fact....
A monkey might have a small scrawny bicep, much weaker than a human bodybuilders....... but due to the more efficient positioning of the muscle, it's able to exert far more force on the forearm than the stronger badly positioned muscle the human has.

WhiteLight

Dehradun is a very beautiful place..
One of the very picturisque parts of this country.
It's one of my must visit places... i don't have too many fancy bulbs, so i can breathe free ;)

Are you from here or just holidaying?