Just one D600 owner.....

JMHPhotography

I am going full frame and I am looking at the D600 but can I get one owner to tell me that havent had problems with oil spots I cant buy this shoot a wedding only to have to try and edit 100's of oils spots I am going refurbished so I hear that will take care of the issue..thoughts opinions? anyone? anyone?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think you're going to be shooting weddings at f16 or 22. I would not worry about the dust/oil spots. But I'd sure invest some time to learn how to clean the sensor.

I've had dust, but no oil on mine.

Mfrankfort

What ^ said. Unless your shooting outside at noon on the equator, I don't think you'll be using apertures over 16. I have a D600, and love it. I've had to blow off the sensor a few times, and edit out a few dust spots here and there, but wouldn't trade the image quality for any other camera. Well.. maybe a D800, or D4. haha. But I'm a poor college student, so that's not happening.

Rick M

I've had only dust on my D600 sensor (low pass filter). I've blown it off a few times and cleaned the sensor at 4,000 shots. If I were to shoot a wedding, I would probably clean the sensor before it, regardless of what body I was using.

Blade Canyon

Why not buy the refurb they are advertising here? I bought a used D600 with almost 6k actuations already on it. No oil issues, only dust that blows off. (I change lenses a lot.)

I do find it strange that the dust spots appear to collect in the top left corner of pictures, which would be the bottom right side of the sensor. That would support an argument that there is something in the camera mechanism that is throwing gunk onto the sensor (... the low-pass filter that sits in front of the actual sensor.) Then again, we always put the sky on top in our pics, and it's the sky that reveals the spots, so maybe we are not seeing others.

Hassiman

I had dust and oil. Lots of it. Returned the camera. Thinking of D800 or Canon 6D.

LOVED the sensor.... So much DR!
How Nikon could take screw up the best camera on the market is beyond me....

jwstl

I had dust and oil. Lots of it. Returned the camera. Thinking of D800 or Canon 6D.

LOVED the sensor.... So much DR!
How Nikon could take screw up the best camera on the market is beyond me....

Third best DSLR on the market. And it's a problem easily fixed so if you really liked the camera enough you would have had it fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

VectorZ

I shoot many if not most of my photos at high apertures and I've had three D600s now all with the same dust issues. My camera is now at Nikon to see if they can fix it. I love the camera but these issues shouldn't happen on any modern camera, and especially one at this price point.

Rick M

I shoot many if not most of my photos at high apertures and I've had three D600s now all with the same dust issues. My camera is now at Nikon to see if they can fix it. I love the camera but these issues shouldn't happen on any modern camera, and especially one at this price point.

​Let us know how you make out!

singlerosa_RIP

No problems with mine. As with my D7000, it does need an occasional sensor cleaning. I've got a bunch of lenses and use them all. No matter how careful I am, some dust is going to get in and not be cleaned by the camera. Zooms don't help the situation. Luckily, I don't shoot the sky at f/22 (very often). Buy it, you'll love it.

aZuMi

I have the occasional spots, but I don't shoot weddings at f16/f22. Mainly f2.8-f8. I really like the camera....I like it so much that I had to buy D700 for my workhorse for events and D600 for engagement shoots/creative shots only.

d131979

I was on a holiday in GOA, India clicked some amazing pics but came home and saw lot of dust sensor issues, believe it or not i found more then 100 dust spots on the top right and left corner of the frame, it was so shocking. when i sent to the service center they denied its sensor dust, they told me that it happened due to frequent lens change. The truth is i had only my kit lens 24-85 lens mounted on my camera all the time.
I am so fed up with my camera now, it is the 4th time I am sending my camera for servicing, 3 times for the sensor dust, which got partially solved after that when i got my camera i see a black spot in the viewfinder. now again 4th time i had to send it again. I think the service center people are very careless and lazy buggers, they don't even double check to make sure everything is ok. Now i have finally decided to sell this to some one. I really do not have any patience or interest in this camera any more. I was supposed to buy D700, but fell in the ditch bcoz of flashy adds and bull shit recommendations written by some stupid money making review writers. I think i will be loosing at least 1000 dollars as the price of this camera has come down. I purchased this camera for $ 2400. What a waste. I sincerely request newcomers not to buy this camera. Instead go for a Nikon D800 or D3s or any lower end camera.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d600/15482-i-s...e-they-have-handle-issue-2.html#ixzz2aoRfXfmz

tmcguire17

If you can afford a D4 why are you even considering a D600? The performance of the two really dont compare. Porsche vs VW. Us poor bastards by the D600's because we get bang for the buck and dust and oil and some great shots.

JMHPhotography

What Tim said if I could afford a D4 or if the work I was doing warranted a d4 I wouldn't of asked about the 600 I knew I was opening a can of worms when I posted this I have done my research I Am going with a returbished 600 and I am going to learn to clean the sensor or technically the low pass filter will be ordering in a a couple of weeks will keep everyone posted

Hassiman

Nikon just refunded my money for a D600 bought in October....
I am thinking of a D800 or a Canon 6D.
It seems that Nikon service is not good.
I would demand a refund as they sold you a defective product and they know it. All I did was mention lawsuit and Nikon couldn't writ the check fast enough!