Ordering pictures online / e-commerce

wud

Oh god, what a jungle!

Anyone using a site, which they can recommend??

- I am looking for something simple. Since I cant find a site from my country, I wont be needing the order prints, only the download file (small + big file, for each picture).
- Wont be using the paypal so much either, not everybody uses this in my country, but doesnt matter if the feature are there.

Dont have a lot of money for this, so maybe its not going to be possible at all :/

If I cant get this to work, I'll use my own site, creating a page and then manually writing the filenames. I would just LOVE not having to do this, as I am going to photograph a lot of people at dog training, so I'll end up with loads of pictures!
My website allow rightclick and save, which means I will have to make an 3. image with a huge watermark, only for this gallery. Grr.

wud

AHHHH!

I think I found a solution! I think I can move my site to wordpress.org (still using my own domain name) and then being able to use plugins - which include preventing rightclick-save AND a plugin which makes ordering possible.

Fingers crossed xxx

wud

Not sure after all. It seems I have to know a lot about coding for using this .org and I dont.

Enjoying talking to myself :congratulatory:

Zenfolio has a option for downloading photo and charging for them or free. You make the choice. Of course you can also sell whatever prints you want to. It is very easy site to use.

wud

Zenfolio has a option for downloading photo and charging for them or free. You make the choice. Of course you can also sell whatever prints you want to. It is very easy site to use.

Yes, I did look at that, I just think its a lot of money to spend, since I've already paid for my current website.

Now I am looking at SmugMug, didn't look before as I read an OLD review, didn't realize until now - it looks pretty good and actually very cheap.

LyonsH

I use and love Pro DPI <3 they even give you 5 free prints to test them out before you use them. They'll also send you a sample package of some of their products and photo paper. Very nice.

wud

I use and love Pro DPI <3 they even give you 5 free prints to test them out before you use them. They'll also send you a sample package of some of their products and photo paper. Very nice.

I live in Europe, so prints will take to long to get here, if they are shipped from US.

wud

Trying out this SmugMug, but hmmmm. I can chose which downloads is available but... people have to pay for both web-size and print-size, for the same image?

Isn't that a little weird? If I was presented that option, I would just buy the original and resize it for websites myself?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Trying out this SmugMug, but hmmmm. I can chose which downloads is available but... people have to pay for both web-size and print-size, for the same image?

Isn't that a little weird? If I was presented that option, I would just buy the original and resize it for websites myself?

It is confusing with so many options. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. wordpress.org does not require any coding unless you want to design or redo your templates. Just get a template you like. I like Elegant Themes (WordPress Themes Loved By Over 190k Customers) because most of their templates cater to photographers and they even have have a couple for e-commerce. I have several websites via wordpress.org

2. Zenfolio does have a European source for products (including prints, I believe) They also let you set your own prices for customers, with coupons and discounts. A lot of flexibility.

​Good luck in your search.

WhiteLight

Yeah Wud.. wordpress.org is very user friendly.
You can do coding & modify themes but you can use them too straight off the bat.

If you want a all-in-one solution, check out Photocrati themes.
They are most preferred by photographers, have over 60 themes to choose from (once you buy, you own them) & they have a pretty robust ecommerce soution integrated into the theme as well!

WordPress Themes for Photographers by Photocrati

wud

It is confusing with so many options. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. wordpress.org does not require any coding unless you want to design or redo your templates. Just get a template you like. I like Elegant Themes (WordPress Themes Loved By Over 190k Customers) because most of their templates cater to photographers and they even have have a couple for e-commerce. I have several websites via wordpress.org

2. Zenfolio does have a European source for products (including prints, I believe) They also let you set your own prices for customers, with coupons and discounts. A lot of flexibility.

​Good luck in your search.

Okay, it just offers something with implanting codes at my hosting service and so, got a little scared there lol.
Maybe because I use my own domainname.

Is it to many options? I do not put logo on files for print (so that one are easy), I just wanted people to be able to chose with or without logo for websizes, with logo cheaper than without. Either way, big file for print should be included in the price.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Okay, it just offers something with implanting codes at my hosting service and so, got a little scared there lol.
Maybe because I use my own domainname.

Is it to many options? I do not put logo on files for print (so that one are easy), I just wanted people to be able to chose with or without logo for websizes, with logo cheaper than without. Either way, big file for print should be included in the price.

Which hosting service do you use? Most of them will have a C-panel and you simply click on the wordpress icon to install into a folder.

You can sign up for Zenfolio on a trial basis to get a feel for it.

Also, if most of your clients are local (in Europe?) have you considered doing the printing yourself?

Milesgeek

did you check I have used fotolia.com by any chance ?

Oh god, what a jungle!

Anyone using a site, which they can recommend??

- I am looking for something simple. Since I cant find a site from my country, I wont be needing the order prints, only the download file (small + big file, for each picture).
- Wont be using the paypal so much either, not everybody uses this in my country, but doesnt matter if the feature are there.

Dont have a lot of money for this, so maybe its not going to be possible at all :/

If I cant get this to work, I'll use my own site, creating a page and then manually writing the filenames. I would just LOVE not having to do this, as I am going to photograph a lot of people at dog training, so I'll end up with loads of pictures!
My website allow rightclick and save, which means I will have to make an 3. image with a huge watermark, only for this gallery. Grr.

wud

Which hosting service do you use? Most of them will have a C-panel and you simply click on the wordpress icon to install into a folder.

You can sign up for Zenfolio on a trial basis to get a feel for it.

Also, if most of your clients are local (in Europe?) have you considered doing the printing yourself?

Place called Surftown, danish site. They have a guide for implanting wordpress.

So far print is something I let my costumers order themselves. I provide a link for a good place, they upload and order.

Maybe you are right, maybe I will have to transfer it all to Zenfolio.

wud

Having a mental breakdown now.
Am trying both Zenfolio and Smugmug and its totally annoying! (Zenfolio the most)

None of them offers the currency in danish, or, Zenfolio does in someway - but then you can only pay with Paypal and this is not something everybody has here.

I simplified my needs: people should be able to pay and download a picture with logo, getting full resolution "for free", but this is not possible, people have to buy the image twice :/

I just wanted a simple price: X$ pr image, getting both files.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can see which pictures have been bought/downloaded, and then I could maybe create a new gallery, upload the same files just in print-quality, and send the link. Just sounds like a lot of work, if Im handling like 100 files..

On top of this, I wanted to give cheaper prices, if people bought more pictures. Like: 10 pics = 10$ each. 11-20 pics = 7$ each. 21-100 pics 5$ each. (Just random prices). Thinking of creating coupons and then mailing them, hoping people will only use them if they get over the right amount of pictures.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Having a mental breakdown now.
Am trying both Zenfolio and Smugmug and its totally annoying! (Zenfolio the most)

None of them offers the currency in danish, or, Zenfolio does in someway - but then you can only pay with Paypal and this is not something everybody has here.

I simplified my needs: people should be able to pay and download a picture with logo, getting full resolution "for free", but this is not possible, people have to buy the image twice :/

I just wanted a simple price: X$ pr image, getting both files.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can see which pictures have been bought/downloaded, and then I could maybe create a new gallery, upload the same files just in print-quality, and send the link. Just sounds like a lot of work, if Im handling like 100 files..

On top of this, I wanted to give cheaper prices, if people bought more pictures. Like: 10 pics = 10$ each. 11-20 pics = 7$ each. 21-100 pics 5$ each. (Just random prices). Thinking of creating coupons and then mailing them, hoping people will only use them if they get over the right amount of pictures.

I am sorry for your troubles. Sometimes you have to modify what you want to make it fit into a system. Zenfolio does have the option to create coupons and it's pretty flexible . . . it depends on which plan you're on. Sadly, everything, including convenience costs money.

Paypal does not require you to have an account. Your clients can still order via a credit card or echeck.

You may want to look into this site: Print made simple - Peecho Their pricing for printing one copy of my magazine was very good (through Issuu.com). I believe they are located in the Netherlands. . . which is a little closer to you. I think their qualitly is very good. My biggest disadvantage with Peecho is that it took almost 2 weeks to print and ship (to the USA).

Other than that, you may have to look into getting your own printer and doing your own work. I do this for my fine art prints.

wud

Paypal does not require you to have an account. Your clients can still order via a credit card or echeck.

Oh. How embarrassing. I did not know that :apthy:

You may want to look into this site: Print made simple - Peecho Their pricing for printing one copy of my magazine was very good (through Issuu.com). I believe they are located in the Netherlands. . . which is a little closer to you. I think their qualitly is very good. My biggest disadvantage with Peecho is that it took almost 2 weeks to print and ship (to the USA).

Other than that, you may have to look into getting your own printer and doing your own work. I do this for my fine art prints.

Thanks for the recommend :) I am looking but a little weird, that their prices are hidden. Problem with printing is, so many different online sites offers this really cheap, quick and painfree from your own computer. But I do know, theres a difference in quality.

Printing myself, would still mean some kind of setup, so people could place an order. Which printer do you have? I got a Canon photoprinter, but never thought if it would be good enough for making prints for others.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Oh. How embarrassing. I did not know that :apthy:

Thanks for the recommend :) I am looking but a little weird, that their prices are hidden. Problem with printing is, so many different online sites offers this really cheap, quick and painfree from your own computer. But I do know, theres a difference in quality.

The Peecho site is kind of confusing. I can't figure out their network of services. I think you have to click on the products and then you can choose the details like currency, etc. Also, I don't see a selection for "prints". But you might try some of the partners they list . . . they're all based in Europe.

Printing myself, would still mean some kind of setup, so people could place an order. Which printer do you have? I got a Canon photoprinter, but never thought if it would be good enough for making prints for others.

I have the Epson 4880 and love the quality I get. But I use it only for fine art printing because I like the selection of papers that you can use with it. For client print I use a professional lab, American Color Imaging because their quality is pretty good. This is another option for you. If you're on Zenfolio, you can set up "self fulfilled" products. Clients still order and pay through the site, but you either print and send the product to the client, or you order from a professional lab and they either drop-ship (ship directly to the client) or they ship to you and then you deliver to the client.

I hope that maybe this is getting a little closer to something workable for you.

. . . and I didn't know that either about Paypal until someone on ebay used the echeck method . . . it takes like 7 days to process.

I think there is also a Package option the Zenfolio You could package the print with the download the same as you do a print now. I have not done that but I was in there yesterday and I did see the package option. I will check that out and let you know. If that was the only download option that would be nice. Buy a print and get a free download.