when to use flash - flash newbie

bechdan

my parents very kindly but also unexpectedly bought me a nissin di622 flash for my D60. I got a few things from a friend who wasnt using them anymore - a ttl off camera cable and a diffuser 'sock'.

I understand the benefits of using a fill flash for bright days /dark objects / portraits in foreground, and Ive used the flash off camera via cable for macro which has been quite good.

But what else can I do with my flash? When and where should I take it with me? I usually like to take scenery shots, but Im an explorer and will shoot anything that moves, or not...

Last edited:

WayneF

Probably the most common situation is any general photos indoors, where you need more light... pictures of family, or events, etc. Hot shoe bounce flash is particularly good indoors when possible (under usual white ceilings).

Kodiak

Hi Don,

Your preamble indicates a quite good understanding of the many possibilities for using
a flash. Your question being: "But what else can I do with my flash? reveals a need for
strategies. Since I cannot know when, where, why… you may want to use your flash,
he are some thoughts.

I never, ever, leave the studio without one! The client calls me and I have to be ready
for almost anything!

You join some friends to a show and after to a club where some good shots are missed
cause your flash is at home! The best flash is the one you have in your gear bag.

A flash is about the size of a modern lens and much lighter. If you add up the extras:
diffusor, batteries and cable, the needed room is not much.

You will only know when, where, why… if you have your flash with you!

Have a good time!

Bill16

I just have the built in flash on my nikon, so when I can I better look into getting a good but inexpensive flash myself . :)

fotojack

A flash is useful for stopping motion, such as a water drop from a faucet, hair flying in the wind, a baseball leaving the hand of a pitcher. In combination with a good shutter selection and flash synchronization, amazing photos can be realized. :)

LouCioccio

Best advice: save for a flash/ambient light meter.
Three Links:

strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

http://lightenupandshoot.com

You Tube for search MAC on Campus MAC nothing to do with MacOSX

You want the flash off camera and then learn to use modifiers.

P7027503bw.jpg

Ambient Light one strobe and umbrella using Olympus CLS similar to Nikons.

P9108813.jpg

Low ceilings two flashes one behind bounce with diffuser the other behind me also bounced with a diffuser radio triggers.

PA042217.jpg

Using a Sekonic 358 light meter with 30% flash and ambient light.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio

​PS Sorry that they were not shot with a Nikon but you get the idea.