Spot when I look through viewfinder

Lauramacky

This is really strange. I just noticed a spot when I look through the viewfinder. It's not the lens, it's not the filter because I changed lenses and filters and it's still there. I tried wiping the viewfinder on the outside of course but it's still there. Anybody have a clue as to where the spot is? It's not on any of my images so I'm assuming it's not the sensor.

Horoscope Fish

This is really strange. I just noticed a spot when I look through the viewfinder. It's not the lens, it's not the filter because I changed lenses and filters and it's still there. I tried wiping the viewfinder on the outside of course but it's still there. Anybody have a clue as to where the spot is? It's not on any of my images so I'm assuming it's not the sensor.
Could be on the mirror. You might take the lens off and give the mirror a little puff of air. Some people advise specifically against using canned air for this but if you hold the can back several inches from the opening I find you can blow out the internals quite gently.

They also make brushes for this purpose. I happen to use a really big powder brush for this because they're far cheaper than "lens brushes", but try the air puff method first. Brushes can, sometimes, introduce dust or leave bristles behind on the mirror you're trying to clean. Maybe do both, brush then puff...

Last edited:

Lauramacky

I have one of those puffers so I gave it a few puffs but nothing happened. I do have canned air that I use to clean off my computer keyboard. Is that the kind of canned air you're talking about? I can give that a try later on. I'm off to take pictures now. Fortunately it doesn't ruin my images but it's quite annoying to see. Thanks for trying to help. :)

Horoscope Fish

I have one of those puffers so I gave it a few puffs but nothing happened. I do have canned air that I use to clean off my computer keyboard. Is that the kind of canned air you're talking about? I can give that a try later on. I'm off to take pictures now. Fortunately it doesn't ruin my images but it's quite annoying to see. Thanks for trying to help. :)
Yup. Computer keyboard canned air is what I'm talking about.

Also, see the powder brush suggestion in my edit above.

Good luck.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's probably not on the mirror, but stuck to the ground glass. The ground glass is above the mirror on an horizontal plane. So, if you remove the lens and blow some air diagonally above the mirror, there are great chances that you will dislodge this piece of dust. Now, the thing is to get it out of the camera's chamber BEFORE it gets stuck to your sensor when you use the camera.

​Keep us posted please.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Good catch... Technically speaking I believe that's the prism you're referring to.

No, the prism is what allows you to see the ground glass. But the right name would be the "focusing screen". I guess I was used to larger cameras that used to have a ground glass focusing surface.

LouCioccio

FWIW I have two cameras that had the dust "bunny" above the focusing screen. On one camera an Olympus E1 has an interchangeable focusing screen which can be removed by the user (me) a small tiny lever you can move to release the screen. Now my other is a Nikon FM (35mm film camera) with a non(?) removable screen that also has a dust "bunny" spot. The two D7K, Olympus E30 and 520 do not so far.
It does happen as long as it does not interfere with you using your camera (the dust bunnies are not sharp) focusing and composition you should be okay. I know Olympus during their warranty period offers a free cleaning. I am not sure if Nikon does but it may be wise before the warranty runs out maybe to find out.
As the others have said you could try blowing it off with a manual bulb blower and definitely not with compressed air.

Just my 2¢
Lou Cioccio

fotojack

Just remember to hold the camera with the opening face down when you're blowing out dust bunnies. Let gravity help out here. :)

Lauramacky

I took my camera to a local camera store and they removed the spot for free. I'm not quite sure where it was. He thought it was the mirror and then said it was the focus something-or-other. Frankly, I can't remember what he said. All I know is the spot is gone and the viewfinder is clear. Hurray! The good news is that I never knew this camera store was here! It's about a mile from me but it's on the second floor of a buildling I walk by regularly. It's a really nice store and I'm so happy I found it! Meant to be I say! Thanks everyone for your hlep.