How do we set up a custom file numbering system.

Gladiator

Hi, been reading the user guide and can't seem to find anything about this.

Basically i need to have my photos files to be the date then a sequencial number right from the camera, ie: 2010_11_07_1. Is that even possible? And it it possible for the it to keep doing that even after a card format?

A step-by-step would be great :) Learning all this and how to use LR3 is quite overwhelming.

Thanks

Fen

Which camera?

The D3 allows you to set the first three characters of the filename. For what you want though, I'm not sure it would be possible.

But I think the easiest way to get what you want to achieve would be to use something like Adobe Bridge, Lightroom or one of the many freeware apps that allow you to do batch file name changes.

As for me, I leave all filenames as they are and rename them when exported to JPEG/TIFF.

PhotoSnapShot

With in the cameras you only have control over the first three characters of the file name (As Fen was saying about the D3), I just doubled checked on this with my camera. The only way to have the date as part of the name would be to have the software change it as it is transferred to your computer. I use Lightroom 3 and it does let you change the name when you import your photos