Takahe

Mycenius

Tiritiri_Matangi_2013-1836.jpg

D90 | Nikkor AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR with Marumi DHG UV/LP Filter | ISO 200 | f/6.3 @ 200mm | 1/640

Taken on Tiritiri Matangi Island, Auckland, New Zealand, on ANZAC Day (day trip spending about 6 hours walking the circumference of the island). Was mainly just snapping casual landscape shots & a few snapshots of friends... But managed to get a couple of semi reasonable wildlife shots - this was one of them...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Kodiak

…semi reasonable wildlife shots???

Hi John,

I think, honestly, that this pict of a wanderer (I never laid eyes on before) is quite good.

The take is sharp and I fancy the annular hi-lights of the bokeh!

I would, with no intent to boldness, recommend an other rendition: since the quality of
details pretained to the bird is very good and more important than the surrounding grass,
I suggest to lower the key of the grass thus maintaining the tonal values of the bird.

I believe that these tweaks will wipe out the "semi reasonable" attribute
you gave your photograph!

Have a good day…

PS, one question: Image editing: NO !
Does this mean that you have no means to or
that you do not wish that someone suggests edits ?

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Kodiak, I can help with this question (Surprise!!)

The "no" refers to the member does not want anyone actually perfroming audits.. You may always suggest...

My Profile is marked "Yes" and as such, you did a sample edit to demonstrate something for me.. That is perfect (and thank you). If mine was marked "No", you would not have performed the edit as a demo but surely could suggest.

I hope I am making this clear... I marked "Yes" so that other members who have a suggestion can also make a sample to show me.

Pat in NH

Kodiak

Why SURPRISE???
You've been here since three months…
as I got a medal just today cause I have survived a week!

To me, there is no surprise in the fact that you know more! … but a pleasure
to receive the answer from you, Pat

Thanks

Kodiak

NA!… if I look at his avatar, …looks like a proud man…

But maybe you're right.

Pat, if really you are a humble then

SHOUT IS OUT LOUD!
••PROUDLY!••

=)

Mycenius

Hi John,

I think, honestly, that this pict of a wanderer (I never laid eyes on before) is quite good.

The take is sharp and I fancy the annular hi-lights of the bokeh!

Thanks Kodiak.

I would, with no intent to boldness, recommend an other rendition: since the quality of
details pretained to the bird is very good and more important than the surrounding grass,
I suggest to lower the key of the grass thus maintaining the tonal values of the bird.

I believe that these tweaks will wipe out the "semi reasonable" attribute
you gave your photograph!

No boldness at all - welcome any comments/insights... Appreciate any and all input...

It's no because I think that's the default - I want' that sure what it did myself - I'll update the profile to allow it! :)

If you'd like to do an edit feel free (not exactly sure how it works as the image is hosted offsite at another site but I assume it just allows you to copy it here). :)

​Cheers!

Mycenius

P.S. I did push the saturation up a small amount in post (in LR5) to try and get the colours to stand out a bit more (both the Takahe's plumage and the bokeh of the bush in the background).

The image is cropped at about 90% and total area is about 1/3 of the original image the D90 recorded.