d5200 Aperture- not sure if a problem

Farzad

Hi guys,

Here is the situation:
When I'm in a rather dark room, and I shoot with f22, the aperture gets close and remains closed after the shod. So it gets very dark on the LCD and I can't see anything. To fix it, I have to shoot again with f3.5 for example, and then the aperture will open and remain open. Is this normal?

I was actually playing with Bower macro extension tubes, and the lens started making strange noises and aperture was not working good with the extension tubes. So I thought maybe they damaged my camera. But maybe this behaviour is normal?

Should I worry?

Nikon d5200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D
Nikon 18-55 kit

Many thanks in advance.

WhiteLight

f/22 is your smallest aperture which will need a long shutter speed as the amount of light going in through a small aperture is less.
f/3.5 is the largest aperture size, thus requiring a faster shutter speed as it gathers light more quickly..

not sure what you mean by "aperture remains open"
if you are in Manual mode or Aperture mode, it will remain at f/3.5 till you change it.

Not all extension tubes have electric contacts to support AF and/or metering.
​AFAIK only Kenko Auto DG extn tubes will work with Nikon cameras & allow for modifications of the settings

Farzad

f/22 is your smallest aperture which will need a long shutter speed as the amount of light going in through a small aperture is less.
f/3.5 is the largest aperture size, thus requiring a faster shutter speed as it gathers light more quickly..

not sure what you mean by "aperture remains open"
if you are in Manual mode or Aperture mode, it will remain at f/3.5 till you change it.

Not all extension tubes have electric contacts to support AF and/or metering.
​AFAIK only Kenko Auto DG extn tubes will work with Nikon cameras & allow for modifications of the settings

Thank you for you reply.

But I'm not talking about the picture. I mean when I'm in live view mode viewing stuff in LCD. If I take pic on f22, regardless of pic quality, the aperture blades will stay at f22 so I don't get a good view in live view (too dark). then I have to take a picture at f3.5 or any large aperture. when I take the pic, it will be open again and live view is fine.

(I'm in a rather dark room).

jwstl

Thank you for you reply.

But I'm not talking about the picture. I mean when I'm in live view mode viewing stuff in LCD. If I take pic on f22, regardless of pic quality, the aperture blades will stay at f22 so I don't get a good view in live view (too dark). then I have to take a picture at f3.5 or any large aperture. when I take the pic, it will be open again and live view is fine.

(I'm in a rather dark room).

It's normal. Live View is showing you the scene at the aperture selected. If you are at f/22 the aperture is stopped down and dark. If you are at 3.5 it's open and bright. If f/22 is too dark in Live View then you need to open up to focus and stop down to shoot. one more thing...I don't believe you can change the aperture when in Live View on the 5200. You have to leave Live View and go back to change.

Last edited:

Fork

It's also worth pointing out that the aperture does not actively change when you set it with the dial. All it does is tell the lens how much to close it when you press the shutter. It does not remain at that aperture between shots.