Need Replacement camera

Frontier Status

For the last 10 years, I have been earning my living recording historic and archaeological sites using a Nikon CoolPix 8800. As part of my job I have to complete nominations to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). I liked my old camera because it could take photos in a variety of formats including TIFF, which is required for the NRHP submissions. I also like the large attached lens. I carry a lot of other gear and not having to swap lenses or worry about a detatched flash was very useful.

The other day, while taking a photo using a timer and a tripod, a gust of wind tipped over the camera just as I stepped away. The camera fell directly in a lake. I was able to successfully dry the camera out and restore the electronics to full function using distilled water, alcohol and dried rice. Unfortunately, the images are now fuzzy and not acceptable.

With the understanding that my profession is not a lucrative one, I would love to hear suggestions for a replacement with similar capabilities as my old camera. I don't need the latest and greatest, I do need very good value in these hard times.C

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
If you have an acceptable workflow with the Coolpix 8800, why not replace it like for like? I'm sure you find one on eBay or other sources.

carguy

Welcome to the site !

Sorry about the experience. Were you satisfied with the results of the previous camera? If so, consider replacing it with a similar model. Are you considering taking a step to an affordable, entry level DSLR?

Whiskeyman

If you're willing to buy on ebay, I'll recommend that you look at the Nikon D40 DSLR. I know someone who has owned one for many years and it is a wonderful camera. They are available with and without lenses for very affordable prices.

However, as with all such transactions, caveat emptor!

Good fortune to you.

WM