Problem With My D7100, Is It Faulty? - "Playback not currently available"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohan2091

I was using my D7100 and off camera flash last night in the garden without any issue. Today I was travelling to the beach with my dad in his car, I thought I would get out the camera while he was driving and take a few photos. After taking the first photo, I noticed something was wrong. When I pressed the playback button to review my photo, I get the error message: "Playback not currently available". When I press the Live View button, I get the error message: "Cannot start live view at current settings or under current conditions." Some options in the menu are now greyed out such as format memory card, playback folder name, copy images.

During the car journey, I changed lenses, memory cards, replaced the battery with a spare and performed a 2 button reset to no avail. At the beach I tried to troubleshoot the problem, taking a few test shots of the floor but nothing. When I returned home, I plugged in my USB data cable and on my memory card are the photos I took in the car, as well photos of the beach floor. My camera seems to be functioning fine but I can only view them on my PC and not within the camera.

Any ideas? My camera is in warranty. I read a post of a person who is had the exact same problem as me but he said it was because his wireless adapter was plugged in. I don't have a wireless adapter.

EDIT: I just tried putting my D7100 on mirror lockup mode and set to a fast shutter speed, when take the first shot, it is fine, however when shooting shots after, the mirror (or shutter?) closes but does not open automatically (or is this the other way around? anyway...) It only opens when I press the shutter button again.

Last edited:
Re: Problem With My D7100, Is It Faulty? - "Playback not currently available"

I would contact Nikon first and see if they have an answer for the problem. If they don't then send it back for warranty work.

gohan2091

The problem is, it's an import from Hong Kong. Should I be contacting my retailer?

Fred Kingston

Just a wild guess, but do you have another memory card??? Sounds like your camera is NOT seeing the memory card correctly...

wilkster

I have seen something like this if I had been tethering by d7100 beforehand. Removing the battery of a few seconds cleared it. My camera wouldn't open live view. Somehow the tether cable wasn't cleanly disconnected I guess.

Sent from my EOS JB TF101

gohan2091

EDIT: I just tried putting my D7100 on mirror lockup mode and set to a fast shutter speed, when take the first shot, it is fine, however when shooting shots after, the mirror (or shutter?) closes but does not open automatically (or is this the other way around? anyway...) It only opens when I press the shutter button again.

Just a wild guess, but do you have another memory card??? Sounds like your camera is NOT seeing the memory card correctly...

As I said in my original post, I have tried another memory card. Also, the photos are coming out fine when I view the memory card on my PC via the USB data cable, it's just the camera itself cannot seem to detect it EVEN THOUGH it is writing the photo to the card.

I have seen something like this if I had been tethering by d7100 beforehand. Removing the battery of a few seconds cleared it. My camera wouldn't open live view. Somehow the tether cable wasn't cleanly disconnected I guess.

Sent from my EOS JB TF101

I recently discovered my DSLR had a commander mode for external flash and I was messing around with that. I ended up not completely understanding it so for the purpose of my testing in the garden, I just set off the external flash via my pop-up flash set to manual 1/128 power and using a IR blocker panel. If this is linked, do you have any suggestions? I did replace the battery with a backup but it didn't help. I performed a 2 button reset too.

Yes you should. not sure about there but sometimes imports are not covered by the Nikon Warranty.

I registered the camera with Nikon Hong Kong so I do have an active warranty. The camera was purchased from One Stop Digital.

Last edited:

gohan2091

I contacted Nikon and my retailer 2 days ago and no reply from them yet. Any more comments?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

This is the way mirror lockup function is supposed to work:

Turn mirror lockup on, compose and focus your shot, when you depress the shutter the mirror goes up and the shutter is waiting for another command (depress the shutter again) to make the exposure. After the exposure, the mirror comes back down for you to be able to compose and shoot again.

​I hope my explanation makes sense to you. It's probably better explained in the manual somewhere.

gohan2091

This is the way mirror lockup function is supposed to work:

Turn mirror lockup on, compose and focus your shot, when you depress the shutter the mirror goes up and the shutter is waiting for another command (depress the shutter again) to make the exposure. After the exposure, the mirror comes back down for you to be able to compose and shoot again.

​I hope my explanation makes sense to you. It's probably better explained in the manual somewhere.

Oh really? I thought this was used to prevent camera shake affecting the sharpeness. Thanks. About my problem, it seems like it's stuck in a mode that disables LiveView and Playback, it's really odd as everything else works fine and my photos are coming out fine when viewing from my PC. I also cannot update the firmware because it's acting like there is no memory card, even though it is saving the photos to the card, and the little 1 and 2 slot icons are appearing on the top LCD.

Horoscope Fish

Oh really? I thought this was used to prevent camera shake affecting the sharpness.
Well, it is. And Marcel's explanation is correct.

It is the action of the mirror, moving rapidly and up and down, that can cause vibration that leads to a less-sharp image. By moving the mirror up and out of the way of the sensor (while the shutter is closed), then exposing the shot (shutter both opens and closes), then releasing the mirror (now that the shutter is closed), you avoid any vibration from "mirror slap" while the shutter is open.

gohan2091

Yes, I'm not saying I am right, I am clearly wrong but if we can get back on to topic. If anyone has any suggestions about my camera problem that would be good. I can't do anything until Nikon or my retailer contacts me.

Mycenius

Isn't there 2 settings though - one for the mirror up to require 2 shutter presses, and the one where it just has an automatic delay (of 1 sec or something) before opening the shutter...? I know I have used the latter on my old D90 quite a few times, but haven't needed to look at it as yet on my new D7100 so not 100% sure if it has the same functionality...

gohan2091

Been about a month since I sent my D7100 back to Nikon Hong Kong (I'm in the UK) and it arrived back today. Big praise for Onestop Digital for their excellent customer service. A peice of paper said the Togo PCB was replaced. The repair cost 500 Hong Kong Dollars but is free for me because it's in warranty.

Camera seems to work fine. Really wish I had it back a couple of weeks ago as I attended two weddings and had to use my Nikon D5100.

JFB

I had the same problem but it got solved after I removed the wireless mobile adapter WU-1a.
in the camera menu a lot of option couldn't selected anymore - light grey - caused by the installed WU-1a.

Nikontin

Got the very same issue with my D7100. How did you resolve the problem?

RocketCowboy

I had the same problem but it got solved after I removed the wireless mobile adapter WU-1a.
in the camera menu a lot of option couldn't selected anymore - light grey - caused by the installed WU-1a.

Yup, when the WU-1a is installed, it controls the Live View mode. If you launch the Nikon WMU from your connected smart device and go to take a picture, you'll see the camera switch into live view mode at the request of the software app. If you're not using the app, then the WU-1a should be removed from the camera to free up operation.

At least, that's been my experience with it.

Winky

how did you resolve the issue of your camera.. seems we have the same issue

how did you resolve the issue of your camera.. seems we have the same issue

Very old thread. Would be better if you start a new thread stating the issues you are having. Give as much detail as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.