D7000 after market batteries

Horoscope Fish

While I have no experience with those particular batteries I have routinely used camera batteries in my Nikons from Wasabi.The Nikon branded EN-EL 15 my 7100 requires is $60, the Wasabi version is $23. From every experience I've had the Wasabi battery is the equal of the Nikon branded version in every possible way. People who think you have to have Nikon branded accessories to get top notch performance are fooling themselves. Aftermarket can often equal or surpass OEM. If your batteries don't... Get the Wasabi batteries.

Vsteel

It gets better because I was wrong !! Its not 2250, Its 2550ma hour wow.
Just check out the link I provided in my first post on the subject.
Im not sure about the chip thing. At the end of the day I think its all about the kind of info the battery is able to communicate to the camera.
But if it means video is able to last that bit longer then not a bad way to go.

Vsteel

2 reviews found.

Re-viewer 1 says,

It appears to work fine and I have got several hundred shots per charge so I am happy enough with it. and I was using the LCD screen to review pictures a lot so I estimate with conservative LCD screen usage I should be able to get over 600 shots

Re-viewer 2 says,

It's cheap and it works. It worth. You can get less shots than using an original one, but it is still good considering the price.

So how many shots with a standard battery ??
How often do you use the lcd during shooting ??
What would be a fair comparison ?
Guess I will just have to find out for myself.
And of course I will post back when I do.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The stock nikon battery is rated for 1050 shots per charge. I would imagine that would be without using the LCD much. I have mine set to display the image after taking it, so you would probably get more shots per charge if you turn that feature off.

It's definitely hard to compare without having and using both batteries.

Vsteel

The stock nikon battery is rated for 1050 shots per charge. I would imagine that would be without using the LCD much. I have mine set to display the image after taking it, so you would probably get more shots per charge if you turn that feature off.

It's definitely hard to compare without having and using both batteries.

And you would also need to use both battery types under identical shooting conditions. Lcd screen usage, long exposure shutter speeds, using video mode and reviewing in different ways would not give an accurate comparison. Even a change in ambient temperature could affect the results.
Almost a job for testing under lab style conditions. That said a big difference in battery life would be apparent during shoots. Almost a gut feeling as to which batt lasts longer.
I will soon find out.

carguy

I've tried aftermarket batteries in camcorders and mobile phones with poor success. Why spend $1K on a great camera and go cheap on the battery? Don't quite get that one.

Vsteel

I've tried aftermarket batteries in camcorders and mobile phones with poor success. Why spend $1K on a great camera and go cheap on the battery? Don't quite get that one.

Because when you get it right. Your getting exactly the same battery, from the same chinese or indonesian importer. For one third the cost. Or you can pay three times as much for the privelege of having Nikon printed on the battery. Once youv'e verified the performance of aftermarket and the build quality, your on a home run. Best way to do that is by discussions with fellow enthusiasts on sights just like this.
Once sorted you can see the money still in your wallet after buying 4 aftermarket batteries vs Nikon own brand and trust me !! You'll get it.

Horoscope Fish

Because when you get it right. Your getting exactly the same battery, from the same Chinese or Indonesian importer. For one third the cost. Or you can pay three times as much for the privilege of having Nikon printed on the battery. Once you've verified the performance of aftermarket and the build quality, your on a home run. Best way to do that is by discussions with fellow enthusiasts on sights just like this.
Once sorted you can see the money still in your wallet after buying 4 aftermarket batteries vs Nikon own brand and trust me !! You'll get it.
Agreed. A tiny bit of research and you're not really taking a chance, you're just not paying three times what you have to.

I understand some people just feel better with OEM branded accessories, but I'm not one of them. And really, a battery? This isn't rocket surgery we're talking here.