new to slr camera

malley

Hi everyone, goin' to be getting a Nikon D90 for xmas. Went and tested one out a few weeks ago at local a camera shop and it felt real good. I'm goin' to get it with the 18-105 lens and was also thinking of getting the 70-300 vr. I'm a kitesurfer so will be takin' plenty of kiters down the beach. Will the 70-300 vr have enough zoom to catch the action out in the water, or should i go for a different lens?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruidoso Bill

hi everyone, goin to be getting a nikon d90 for xmas, went and tested one out a few weeks ago at local camera shop and it felt real good, im goin to get it with the 18-105 lens and was also thinking of getting the 70-300 vr. im a kitesurfer so will be takin plenty of kiters down the beach, will the 70-300 vr have enough zoom to catch the action out in the water or should i go for a differnt lens

Way to go, I cannot imagine a better Christmas than openning up a new Nikon and playing with it all day long, doesn't get much better than that!

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

Hi and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here to answer your questions. The D90, 18-105mm VR and the 70-300mm VR are a great combination. Those are my two go to lenses. The 18-105mm is a great walk around use.

Red Kite

Hi Malley. I took lots of photos of kite surfers, kite buggies and land buggies a few weeks ago. I use a D40 with the standard lens. It was difficult to get everything into the shot, with the ropes being so long and the guys on the end sharp end looking so small... hard to get good close ups.. my daughter in law was excited about the results but I was a bit disappointed .. I was hoping for something really amazing. So I would say go for the best you can get that would give you great close ups but keeping all the detail of both the surfer and the kite.. good luck.

malley

Hi all, been having a good look around this site and it is Awesome. Been reading up on forums, etc, and you are a great bunch of people and very helpful. Didn't realise either that it was mainly American. I'm from sunny Devon in England, so looking forward to getting my camera. I've got stacks of photos, but all just taken with a Samsung digital camera. Some great shots with such a small camera though, i must say. lol. So when i get my shiny new D90 I will be getting them on the gallery and showing you what great beaches we have here in Devon + Cornwall, and I also go to Scotland a lot, as my family all live up there. Cheers guys and gals.

Curt

Welcome Malley, from Canada, The D90 is a great camera. You will love it. I have taken a lot of great shots with my two little Canons as well (G10 & SD900), but nothing beats a Nikon DSLR. Pick up a DVD (Blue Crane) on the D90 and start watching it. That way by the time you get your camera at Xmas you will be hitting the ground running...lol. Good luck.

malley

Not long now to wait to open my prezzie from Santa. Getting so excited. I'll be taking pictures all day with my shiny new D90. Looking forward to posting some images on here.

johnwartjr

And we are looking forward to seeing them. The D90 is a great camera and I am certain you will enjoy it and make many excellent photos with it!

naja

My advice is NOT to try to get everything in the image, concentrate of the surfer and forget the ropes and kite, or go for the kites and forget the rest. Use a fairly larger aperture as it gives faster shutter and also blurs any distracting background. Have fun at Christmas

I have taken some shots of kite surfers and wind surfers and I use a 70mm-200mm lens so you should have no problem with getting the image large enough, your problem might be gettign enough light at f4.5 and a fast shutter speed to freeze the action in this wonderful English climate!!!!!!!!
Windsrufer.jpg