NooB needs some help, Aperture won't open all the way

zhead86

I using the D5200 with the 18-55mm lens that came with it. I am having one major issue. While in Aperture priority mode, some times I can't get my aperture to open all the way. My lens opens to f/3.5 but at times it will only open to f/4 or even f/5.6 and nothing I can figure out gets it to open more. I know it opens to f/3.5 because I've used it for star trails on more than one occasion...I've reset Custom Settings and Shooting Menu but nothing is working.... Help?!

:mad::eyetwitch:
:hopelessness:

stevebobb

Someone else will answer this, who is much better qualified than me.... but I think it's to do with the type/design of lens you have!!
your lens is a 18-55 mm but does it say 3.5-5.6G ?? this means that at certain focal lengths your aperture will vary between 3.5-5.6G I thought this too when I first had a similar lens.. I hope this is right what I am saying

I using the D5200 with the 18-55mm lens that came with it. I am having one major issue. While in Aperture priority mode, some times I can't get my aperture to open all the way. My lens opens to f/3.5 but at times it will only open to f/4 or even f/5.6 and nothing I can figure out gets it to open more. I know it opens to f/3.5 because I've used it for star trails on more than one occasion...I've reset Custom Settings and Shooting Menu but nothing is working.... Help?!

:mad::eyetwitch:
:hopelessness:

zhead86

Ok, so I did say I am a NooB... And I also just figured this out. at 18mm I have f/3.5 varying to f/5.6 at 55mm..... Never thought I could embarrass myself on the internet but... go figure :upset:

stevebobb

Ok, so I did say I am a NooB... And I also just figured this out. at 18mm I have f/3.5 varying to f/5.6 at 55mm..... Never thought I could embarrass myself on the internet but... go figure :upset:

Hey no worries its not an embarrassment.. I have left the lens cover on before LOL
;)

Kodiak

Hi guys!

I really like the "brotherly" tone in this thread, as in many others.

However, there is one thing a pro can add to this:

After all these years, I acquired the skill to hide my embarrassment when I still
leave a lens cap on, or forget to turn the camera on and what not… =)

Have a very good day

mikew_RIP

With me it was a precharched air rifle,10 shot magazine rapid fire wondering why i never hit any targets,decided it was better to let them think i was a bad shot not an idiot with an empty magazine.

mike

stevebobb

Hi guys!

I really like the "brotherly" tone in this thread, as in many others.

However, there is one thing a pro can add to this:

After all these years, I acquired the skill to hide my embarrassment when I still
leave a lens cap on, or forget to turn the camera on and what not… =)

Have a very good day

that makes feel a whole better.. especially from a pro....."I'm not proud I admit my mistakes" best way to learn.... I think I have made all the mistakes, in the end, I get a great photo..(sometimes) but its more luck than skill, as soon as I think I have figured something out, by getting the photo how I thought it was going to look like, I then tweek something else, and something unexpected happens with the photo.. so off I go scratching my head again... I hope one day soon I'll get it right more often ... So many settings etc... But I am getting the hang of photography, a bit!! LOL anyway if it was too easy, I would get bored...

wud

Lol, dont worry, we all ask funny questions ;)

Leaving the lens cap on, oh dont I know it. Why is it so dark?? Leaving my lens cap on the grass is another thing I practice, afterwards me and the paying client can be seen searching like crazy for it, I am not really proud about that :eek: