Noob to the site and photography

zhead86

Hey all,
I joined this sight to try to learn a little more about photography. It's something I've always wanted to do, but parents never had the money. I put off buying a camera for long enough (I'm 27 now) and bought a Nikon D5200 a few months back. I like taking pictures of nature; stars, landscapes, macro and pretty much anything else nature has to offer... I am having one major issue. While in Aperture priority mode, some times I can't get my aperture to open all the way. My lens opens to f/3.5 but at times it will only open to f/4 or even f/5.6 and nothing I can figure out gets it to open more. I'm using the standard lens that came in the bundle (Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G). I know it opens to f/3.5 because I've used it for star trails on more than one occasion...I've reset Custom Settings and Shooting Menu but nothing is working.... Help?!

zhead86

Ok, so I did say I am a NooB... And I also just figured this out. At 18mm I have f/3.5 varying to f/5.6 at 55mm..... Never thought I could embarrass myself on the internet but... go figure
upset.png

zhead86

Thanks guys! Do any of you know if the 18-55mm lens Nikon sends out with the D5200 is made for a full frame or cropped frame camera?

zhead86

If it's made for cropped frame cameras why would it get that effect on the focal length? Doesn't make sense.... I mean, I understand why the cropped frame does it to "normal" lenses but if it's made for cropped frame you'd think they would adjust it

zhead86

OK.. Maybe I stated that wrong... If a 35mm acts as a 52.5 mm you'd think they would label it as such. But I guess that would make it harder on Full frame users

Mycenius

OK.. Maybe I stated that wrong... If a 35mm acts as a 52.5 mm you'd think they would label it as such. But I guess that would make it harder on Full frame users

Yep you answered your own question! :D

It would also be technically wrong/incorrect - since the physical focal length in the lens is only 35mm, not 52.5! ;)

I guess if they wanted to Nikon could dual mark each lens with what the focal length of the lens is on each type of camera body FX or DX.
But then if Nikon did dual label lenses they would probably charge even more for their lenses and God knows we don't want that.
But just about every one who shoots DX knows to multiply by 1.5 to get what the focal length is on their camera body.

Last edited:

Mycenius

If it's made for cropped frame cameras why would it get that effect on the focal length?

Tell me about it - I had the same misconception in my head until just recently - despite having DX series cameras (& lenses) since the D70 came out about 2004...! :rolleyes: Always assumed DX lens focal length was actual and not subject to x1.5! :ambivalence:

Remember, the DX notation on the lens is about other factors:

1. The lens' diameter (it's smaller to suit the smaller sensor - so will vignette images if used on a full size 35mm FX camera)
  2. The lens' glass - it's in theory got allowance for being specifically used on digital cameras (although perhaps less relevant now as Nikon do this for pretty much all their lenses)
  3. The lens' construction - will tend to usually use more plastics (albeit space age high strength stuff) - so will be lighter than standard FX lenses, BUT may not feel as solid as a result (although still good construction, there is a different feel to most DX lenses compared to FX ones

:cool:

zhead86

Remember, the DX notation on the lens is about other factors:

1. The lens' diameter (it's smaller to suit the smaller sensor - so will vignette images if used on a full size 35mm FX camera)
  2. The lens' glass - it's in theory got allowance for being specifically used on digital cameras (although perhaps less relevant now as Nikon do this for pretty much all their lenses)
  3. The lens' construction - will tend to usually use more plastics (albeit space age high strength stuff) - so will be lighter than standard FX lenses, BUT may not feel as solid as a result (although still good construction, there is a different feel to most DX lenses compared to FX ones

:cool:

didn't know all this!!