using the monitor

Domenic R

Hi to everyone. I hope someone can help. I just purchased a used D3000 it works fine but it seems that I MUST use the view finder to frame a shot the monitor is black or just for information, does anyone know what I have to do to turn the monitor on before taking a picture? The monitor is fine to review the shots afterword but is blank/black prior to the shot. Thank you Domenic in PA.

WayneF

it seems that I MUST use the view finder to frame a shot the monitor is black or just for information

That is just how a DSLR is. Which is a plus, the viewfinder is usually better, more clear. This difference is because the DSLR has the reflex mirror and focal plane shutter, so the shutter is never open (exposing the sensor), except at the shutter button. Compact cameras are different, opening the mechanical shutter, using the rear LCD with an electronic shutter in the CCD chip. Normally their viewfinders are very crummy, if even present.

Some DSLR models (D7100, D600, etc) have a movie mode, requiring an open shutter and electronic shutter and the LCD view (called Live View). This can be also used for still pictures, and then you can hold it over your head in a crowd, but the focus ability is less good.

jwstl

Some DSLR models (D7100, D600, etc) have a movie mode, requiring an open shutter and electronic shutter and the LCD view (called Live View). This can be also used for still pictures, and then you can hold it over your head in a crowd, but the focus ability is less good.

Why do you say that?

JudeIscariot

Some DSLR models (D7100, D600, etc) have a movie mode, requiring an open shutter and electronic shutter and the LCD view (called Live View).
Almost all Nikons have it at this point. Even the D3100 and D3200 have it. In fact, it was weird to many that the D3000 didn't have it. Even some Nikons without video have live view mode.

WayneF

Why do you say that?

Because it is true? Really there is no comparison - Live View is greatly slower, less able to follow tracking, etc.

Viewfinder uses all the special stuff added expressly for focus and exposure metering, multiple phase shift sensors, etc. Works great, phenomenal.

Live View raises the mirror, shutting all of that out. All it can do is to examine the image pixels (for contrast) to focus. Works, but it is very slow, and much less reliable.

If you have ever shot movie mode, and tried moving the camera around aimed at different things, the very first thing you learn is that Auto Focus needs to be shut off.

Last edited:

jwstl

It may be true in some instance but it depends on how you are shooting. Live View focuses right on the sensor providing much more accurate focus. If you are shooting from a tripod it's the best, most accurate focusing method.

WayneF

It depends on what you are shooting. Live View focuses right on the sensor providing much more accurate focus. If you are shooting from a tripod it's the best, most accurate focusing method.

Lots of luck with that. :) (As for me, I strongly disagree. Maybe go read up a little about what is involved in the two methods, and actual reviewed comparisons)

Live View is only (debatably) better **WHEN AND IF** if you examine focus yourself by greatly enlarging the pixels so you can see the details, and then manually focus on what you can see larger. This then is YOU focusing, not the dumb computer. Both take extra time.

Or, when the mirror is necessarily up, like for movies, or to hold the camera overhead (when viewfinder cannot work, then it loses out).

jwstl

Lots of luck with that. :) (As for me, I strongly disagree. Maybe go read up a little about what is involved in the two methods, and actual reviewed comparisons)

Live View is only (debatably) better **WHEN AND IF** if you examine focus yourself by greatly enlarging the pixels so you can see the details, and then manually focus on what you can see larger. This then is YOU focusing, not the dumb computer. Both take extra time.

Or, when the mirror is necessarily up, like for movies, or to hold the camera overhead (when viewfinder cannot work, then it loses out).

I think you need to read up on achieving critical focus when on a tripod. There's no debate, Live View is better for critical focus. As for "greatly enlarging the pixels" that's like saying to take a picture you need to turn on the camera. There's a reason for the zoom in Live View: for critical focus. Sure it takes a little extra time, but if time is critically important to you then you probably wouldn't be using a tripod. Your "viewfinder is best" option is just wrong: it's best in some situations and Live View is best in others...landscapes, macro, architecture where tripods are used and absolute quality and focus are important. Anytime someone says my way is best and all others are wrong is someone to ignore.