D300 two questions

mikew_RIP

I have a headache,been going through the D300 manual and am suffering from information overload so help with a couple of points would be appreciated.
If a lens with built in focus motor is used what do you set the body to,autofocus or manual.

Using none CPU lenses page 198 most of it ime ok with but cant grasp if the camera stops the lens down to the taking aperture with AI and Ais. Lenses.

Thanks

mike

mikew_RIP

Sorry will retry,if i use the older Ai Ais lenses on the D300 will i get fully automatic exposure or will i have to focus wide open and then manually stop the lens down to the taking aperture for the picture.

mike

pedroj

When attaching the lens to the camera you have to close the aperture {biggest number} then adjust aperture in camera...

I hope this is a help...

mikew_RIP

When attaching the lens to the camera you have to close the aperture {biggest number} then adjust aperture in camera...

I hope this is a help...

Thanks i think it does,you control the aperture from the camera then,so effectively giving auto exposure in certain metering modes.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

I hope this is a help...

I'd say that you are right for about 95% of the lenses. I have an older 55mm 1.2 that won't work this way. I have to use the lens' aperture in order to be able to use the light meter of the camera. But, the aperture blades stay open until I press the shutter and I get the right aperture numbers in the viewfinder and on my exif file. But I had to "register" this lens into the "non CPU lens" menu and when I use another I have to manually tell the camera which non CPU lens I'm using.

Hope this helps.

Bukitimah

Not only the older lens. Even for the Tamron 17-50 I am using, you need to set the aperture at the biggest and adjust via the camera. Otherwise you get error reading.