I need your help deciding

mikew_RIP

I hadn’t even considered a D300 but called in at my local Nikon dealer to see what he had,was hoping to view second hand D90s and D7000s.No used D90s but a D7000 and two D300s so started having a feel if you know what I mean.
The 7000 felt nice but the 300 felt fantastic a real presence in my hand,he doesn’t do shutter count checks unless a customer asks but said he would do one for me. Whilst still talking me through the cameras he said the 7000 was in good condition but he knew it would have a high count as he new the owner,with the 300s one looked well used so I wasn’t even considering that but the other looked great and had a known history as it was sold new by him and he felt sure the shutter count would be low.
Then he uttered those fatal words “take it away for the weekend and try it” well its now on my desk been out for a few test shots and a shutter count check with my shutter count .com reveals 8086,his asking price is £429 but I guess an agreed price will be about £375,am I daft forgoing new sensor technology and higher MP for a camera that just feels so good.

mike

mikew_RIP

So, what's the problem? What do you want? Never mind what anyone else thinks.

Its always best to canvass knowledge from people who have experience with particular models,then take a balance of the views my decision at the moment is the D300, there could easily be a short coming i have not thought off or have no knowledge off,I have always thought of a forum as a knowledge bank that could be shared.

mike

JohnB

The D300s is likely my next upgrade, I just love the way it feels in my hands, like my current D200.

​The price seems fair for a "S", if you like it, go for it.

Rick M

Will the d300 fit your needs in a technical sense? Low light, enlargements Ect. It is the only current pro body in dx so if that is important to you than go for it. Personally I would go for new technology over body build. Also depends on your budget lol maybe d400 is around the corner.

mikew_RIP

Will the d300 fit your needs in a technical sense? Low light, enlargements Ect. It is the only current pro body in dx so if that is important to you than go for it. Personally I would go for new technology over body build. Also depends on your budget lol maybe d400 is around the corner.

Low light and enlargements are not a consideration really,I have retirement coming up at christmas so trying to fill the equipment needs before then, if i need any expensive gear after i may have to go back to work for a couple of months and dont want to do that.

mike

fotojack

Definitely grab it! You will NEVER regret getting the D300s! Those that know me here know that I absolutely LUST after a D300!

By the way, I phoned Nikon Canada to inquire about my D200 and it's status as a pro level camera, and they told me that it was and still is a pro level DX camera.......but I still want a D300 in the worst way! Hopefully I can get one this summer. :)

mikew_RIP

Yes the D2OO I was tempted the other day but it was sold before i made my mind up,if i have considered the main areas of shortfall against later cameras then i think i will go for it,i was just concerned there may be problems i didnt know about as the only research ive done is since i brought it home to try.

mike

JudeIscariot

I made this choice a few months ago. I went with the D300 (not even the s - the s isn't worth the extra money for what you get, IMO - I don't care about video or dual card slots really). The 300 is a professional level camera, has professional features, and better image quality at normal light and practically the same image quality in low light situations below 2400iso... I have no need for anything better than that.

AND the D300 (and D300s) tend to be cheaper than D7000s of similar age and use. (And the 300 is an additional $200 less than the S version.)

mikew_RIP

I made this choice a few months ago. I went with the D300 (not even the s - the s isn't worth the extra money for what you get, IMO - I don't care about video or dual card slots really). The 300 is a professional level camera, has professional features, and better image quality at normal light and practically the same image quality in low light situations below 2400iso... I have no need for anything better than that.

AND the D300 (and D300s) tend to be cheaper than D7000s of similar age and use. (And the 300 is an additional $200 less than the S version.)

I already have the video if i want it on my D5100 so ime with you there i dont need it again,just downloaded the manual and must admit i like the control system for a lot of the features,when i first got it home i had to google how to put the cf card in,i had moved the lever but my hand had stopped the door from opening.:D

crashton

If the low light performance is OK with you & you don't mind the weight of the camera go for it. I had a D300 & let it go because it was too heavy for me. I like my D7000, but it is no D300. The build & ergonomics are just not in the same league as the D300.

By the end of summer we are likely to see a replacement for the D300. If that happens the prices of used D300's should fall a bit. I may snap up another when that happens.

Enjoy the D300 mikew. Bet you keep it. :)

Geoffc

Mike, I'd say get the 300s for the following reasons.

My wife got a D300 soon after they came out. I always loved it as I was using our older D70 at the time. When my time came about two years ago I bought a 7000 because I reasoned it was newer tech. After a week I took it back and bought a 300s. I preferred the look of the images and the feel / layout of the body on the 300.

At Christmas I bought a D600 to take me into full frame. It took great pictures apart from the sensor it felt lacking after the 300. After two months I sold it and bought a D800 because it was more like a 300 body and layout but full frame. I must stress that I did not get the 800 because I wanted the pixels as the 600 took fantastic images.

I still use the 300 often if I don't need the 800 low light or resolution capabilities as it still takes great photos that require less space. I have particularly used it in my new studio as light is obviously not an issue.

My final point was to highlight that even though I have a tool like the 800 available I often make a conscious decision to use the 300.

Sorry for the ramble but hopefully it clarifies why I recommend it.

Bukitimah

Don't save a coupe of $ and go for something you are not sure. Of course, the higher $ value you pay, the chances are you get better quality product. That is a fact.

I am using the d300 and has no complaint. More often is you do have a great camera but not knowing how to maximize it. Beside camera, there is also the lens. So get something you are comfortable and affordable the. Start working on it.

​Hope the above help

mikew_RIP

Thanks for all the replies,after playing with it and attempting to come to grips with the owners manual i believe its the camera for me.its probaly something i will find new things about for a long time.

mike

mikew_RIP

Thanks every one for the info,certainly would not be getting the D300 if i needed high iso but if i keep it low then ime happy with the results,used it at 400 iso and its too noisy for me but i think 250 iso will be ok.I cant see anything else in my price range that will give me the absolute joy of handling and using.
So i just need to go and pay for it next week,things may cost a bit more from local dealers but would an ebay seller lend it to me for four days so i could take over 500 pictures.

mike

gbt

My friendly drug oops I mean camera dealer is offering to trade my current gear on a D600 or D7100, I have a D300, 11-18 Tamron, 17-70 Sigma, Nikon 80-200 two ring and a AI modified 50mm f1.4. I also have a Olympus E-M5 wthi Panasonic 12-35, Oly 60mm macro and 15mm f8 body cap.
I take 300 images avg. per weekend of sports, and otherwise landscape, macro images etc. My quandary is should I listen to him? I love the D300 with the 80-200 for its abilities and the macro ability of the 60mm macro on the E-M5, but I would prefer a single system. suggestions?

mikew_RIP

This is the second time i have rounded this thread off:) it all changed when talking to the dealer i now have D7000,very pleased with the first results.

Thanks
mike